OUR VISION for the South Dakota School of Mines & Technology is to be recognized as a world-class technological university.
OUR MISSION is to prepare students for leadership roles in engineering and science; to advance both knowledge and its application through scholarship and research; and serve the state of South Dakota, our region and the nation through global collaborative efforts in education, research, and economic development.
OUR STRATEGIC PRIORITIES to be achieved by 2020:
PREPARE AND EDUCATE AN EXPANDING AND INCREASINGLY DIVERSE STUDENT BODY
- Increase enrollment to 3,500 students
- Sustain placement rate of graduates greater than or equal to 96 percent
REINFORCE AND INCREASE OUR RESEARCH ENTERPRISE TO ELEVATE EDUCATIONAL OUTCOMES AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
- Increase annual research awards to $50 million.
- Expand the university's infrastructure to support research as a primary enterprise of the institution, including a new research facility
INVEST IN HUMAN RESOURCES TO MOVE THE INSTITUTION FORWARD
- Recruit and retain diverse faculty and staff
- Recognize and reward employees for implementing the university's strategic priorities
DEFINE AND ACQUIRE THE CRITICAL RESOURCES TO ACCOMPLISH SHARED VISION AND STRATEGIC PRIORITIES THROUGH ENHANCED PARTNERSHIPS
- $20 million annually to support university operations, endowed professorships, fellowships, and scholarships
- $100 million raised from multiple sources to support the Campus Master Plan in order to accommodate student growth
ENSURE A LEGACY OF EXCELLENCE
- Achieve recognition as a national and global center of excellence in engineering, science, and technology
- Decision-making across all organizational units is aligned in order to achieve the university’s strategic priorities
Download Strategic Vision and Plan