Green Chemistry Outreach Program
The Green Chemistry Outreach program, created by
Dr. Tsvetanka Filipova, is designed to promote excitement and an appreciation for both science and higher education for middle school and high school student audiences as well as to provide educational and
professional development resources for science teachers from South Dakota.
For Middle School and High School Students
Request a visit to your school -- or -- bring your students to the SD Mines campus!
- Workshops provide a dynamic learning environment and present science education in 21st century contexts
- The standard visit consists of a 10-15 minute presentation followed by a question and answer session, and learning activities.
- Middle school or high school students perform 1-2 hands-on experiments in order to accommodate 1-2 class periods.
- Stimulates students' interest in chemistry, and demonstrates the relevance of chemistry in everyday life
- Encourages students to consider pursuing careers in science
- Provides an environment that allows students to be comfortable and able to learn, while helping them to understand the opportunities that will be open to them with an SD Mines education
- With on-campus visits, students and science teachers from Rapid City area and Pine Ridge reservation are given a rare chance to perform learning activities in real laboratories -- mentored by undergraduate students.
At your location or ours, these learning activities are designed to raise the student’s levels of motivation, to improve critical thinking skills, literacy, research activities, use of models and teamwork. They take the learning experience to the next level and show chemistry in a familiar and understandable framework. Students also
gain confidence through the activities and improve the ability to express themselves. Learning activities are powerful tools to develop ideas, concepts and understanding.
The learning activities highlight the South Dakota Common Core Standards, and include three dimensions from “A Framework for K–12 Science Education”, established as a guide for the updated National Science Education Standards:
- Dimension 1: Scientific and Engineering Practices,
- Dimension 2: Crosscutting Concepts
- Dimension 3: Disciplinary Core Ideas – Physical Sciences
For Teachers and Educators
Teacher Professional Development Workshop - July 10-15, 2016
The professional development workshop “Green Chemistry and Sustainable Energy Education 2016” is structured as an active learning environment that will empower teachers to bring chemistry and engineering alive to students, stressing the satisfaction with compelling
questions and the joy of discovery.