Groundwater and Environmental Research
- Assessment of groundwater contamination Risk. Real-time data integration in groundwater flow and transport modeling. Optimal monitoring network design for groundwater management.
- Groundwater protection and aquifer vulnerability. Groundwater quality. Acid rock drainage from mines. Removal of arsenic and heavy metals from water. Water resource availability. Aquifer system response to pumping through ground-surface elevation monitoring with Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar (InSAR).
- Groundwater and surface water interaction along the White River on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation.
- Numerical models of poroelastic deformation, earthquake-triggering, reservoir impoundment and induced seismicity, and propagation of fluid-filled fractures.
- Abandoned mine lands contaminant assessment in western South Dakota; primary assessments for radionuclide and heavy-metal contamination of soils, surface water, groundwater, and air.
- Environmental effects of mine drainage and tailings disposal. Subsurface contamination and environmental remediation. Water monitoring and water quality assessment on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation.
Kurt Katzenstein: InSAR, Geohazards, Geomechanics
Liangping Li: Groundwater, Geostatistics, Data assimilation
Timothy Masterlark: Geodynamics, Geophysics, Hydrogeology, Numerical Models, Optimization and Uncertainty
Foster Sawyer: Groundwater, Petroleum, Sedimentation
Larry Stetler: Geological engineering, Site characterization, 3D imaging
Arden Davis: Groundwater modeling, Contaminant transport, Arsenic and heavy metals
Alvis Lisenbee: Structural geology, Tectonics, Geologic mapping
Perry Rahn: Engineering geology, Hydrogeology