Standardized Test Requirements: Freshmen/Transfer
Freshman Admission (Applicants younger than 24 years old at start of term)
AUTOMATIC ADMISSION: The School of Mines will automatically admit students who meet the educational requirements and who:
ADMISSION CONSIDERATION: The School of Mines will carefully review and consider for acceptance applicants who meet the general education requirements and the following criteria:
- obtain an ACT composite score of 25 AND obtain an ACT math subscore of 25 (or SAT composite of 1130 and SAT Math subscore of 580) AND minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0
- OR obtain a high school GPA of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 scale and have taken 4 years of mathematics AND have an ACT math subscore of 20 or SAT math subscore of 480 AND have an ACT composite of 20 or SAT composite of 940.
- OR are South Dakota Regents’ Scholars
- Obtain an ACT composite score of at least 20 (or SAT composite score of 940)*
- AND obtain an ACT math subscore of at least 20 (or SAT math subscore of 480)*
- AND achieve a high school GPA of at least 2.75 on a 4.0 scale*
*Applications from students with deficiencies are reviewed on an individual basis.
READMITTED STUDENTS: Former students who want to reapply for admission must submit another admission application and official transcripts directly to the Office of Admissions for all colleges attended since leaving the university. If you interrupt your attendance by a semester or more, you must reapply for admission. If a name change has occurred since prior attendance, additional documentation will be required.
TRANSFER STUDENTS: Transfer students who have earned fewer than 24 semester credits must also meet the freshman admission requirements above. Transfer students with 24 or more semester credits are eligible to be candidates for admission if they meet the standards below:
- Have a cumulative college grade point average of 2.75 or higher
- Have proof of college algebra readiness
- Are in good standing with their most recently attended school
NOTE: Students with less than a 2.75 GPA may be admitted on probation, but each applicant is considered on an individual basis. Students with a lack of coursework or weak performance within mathematics and science classes are advised to improve their skills in these areas before applying.
EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS: All applicants must complete the following required courses with a cumulative grade point average of a “C” or higher (2.0 on a 4.0 scale):
- 4 years of English
OR ACT English sub-test score of 18 or above
OR AP English score of 3 or above
- 3 years of Advanced Mathematics (includes algebra or any higher level of math)
OR ACT Math sub-test score of 20 or above
OR AP Calculus score of 3 or above
- 3 years of Laboratory Science (includes biology, chemistry, physics, or other approved science courses in which there is a weekly lab period scheduled)
OR ACT Science Reasoning sub-test score of 17 or above
OR AP Social Studies score of 3 or above
- 1 year of Fine Arts
OR AP Fine Arts score of 3 or above