Preparing for Study Abroad
Now that you have been accepted into an international study program, it's time to plan your travels. Make sure you have all the right information by using our resource links for useful information.
- Do you have at least a 2.75 GPA?
- Have you started the mandatory checklist?
Long term program (longer than two months)
Short term program (less than two months)
Academic Department Contacts
Academic Credit Form
Choose several options for credit as some courses may not be available when you arrive. Find course descriptions and, if possible, syllabi for the courses you wish to take. Copy and paste web site links into a word processing document with this information.
3. Health insurance is required for study abroad. Please make arrangements with the Ivanhoe International Center for enrollment. The insurance portal is a great resource for you as you prepare to study abroad and while you are in your program.
South Dakota Board of Regents policy number is 13 GLM N01060946. Please include spaces.
Vital information from the Center for Global Education
This is a great resource for study abroad from your starting point until you return to the US.
Financial Aid Information
FinAid: The Smart Student Guide to Financial Aid
SDSM&T Financial Aid Office
SDSM&T Financial Aid Director - David Martin
School of Mines Scholarship
Brass LIFE Award - SDSMT students only
Interested students will need to submit a Scholarship Application (see link below).
Deadline for this scholarship is usually in mid-October.
- Recipient will receive $5000 per semester for a total of three semesters.
- Funds for at least one semester must be used to study abroad through an approved SDSM&T study abroad program, preferably with the recipient earning credit for the international experience (contact the Ivanhoe International Center regarding programs).
- Recipient must be a rising junior or senior engineering student.
- Recipient must have at least a 3.0 cumulataive SDSM&T grade point average.
- First preference will be given to US citizens.
Frank Family International Fund
SDSM&T students only
Deadline for this scholarship is usually mid-October.
Opportunities include scholarships for introductory experiences, design experiences, and educational immersion.
Study Abroad Funding (IIE Passport)
Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship (must be receiving Pell grant)
Boren Scholarship for Undergraduates
Language Flagship Program
Bowman Travel Grants
Freeman Awards for study in Asia
Guide to Online Schools Study Abroad Scholarship
International Education Financial Aid
Rotary International Ambassadorial Scholarships
Whitaker International Fellows and Scholars Program (Biomedical Engineering or Bioengineering)
Recent information on scholarships, internships, and other opportunities
Foreign Consular Offices in the US
Transportation Security Administration
U.S. Department of State: Travel Warning on Drugs Abroad
(Monetos is an independent internet portal offering free information on the financial and social sectors of the European Union. Its articles on living, working, and studying in the countries of the EU are a great resource for students considering study abroad or an internship abroad, while its articles on international finance and insurance will help those studying Europe's financial and social systems.)
ISIC - International Student Identity Card