Preparing for Study Abroad
Now that you have been accepted into an international study program, it's time to plan your travels. Make sure you have all the right information by using our resource links for useful information.
- Do you have at least a 2.75 GPA?
- Have you started the mandatory checklist?
Long term program(longer than two months)
Short term program (less than two months)
Academic Department Contacts
Academic Credit Form - Choose several options for credit as some courses may not be available when you arrive. Find course descriptions and, if possible, syllabi for the courses you wish to take. Copy and paste web site links into a word processing document with this information.
Budget Estimate Form - This should help you develop a cost estimate for your study abroad experience
- Health insurance is required for study abroad. Please make arrangements with the Ivanhoe International Center for enrollment. The insurance portal is a great resource for you as you prepare to study abroad and while you are in your program.
Insurance Portal - South Dakota Board of Regents policy number is 15 GLM N01060946. Please include spaces.
- Make the most of your international experience through this online course.
Contact the Ivanhoe International Center to register for the Global Scholar course
Vital information from the Center for Global Education
This is a great resource for study abroad from your starting point until you return to the US.
Financial Aid Information
FinAid: The Smart Student Guide to Financial Aid
SD Mines Financial Aid Office
SD Mines Financial Aid Director - David Martin
School of Mines Scholarship
Brass LIFE Award - SD Mines students only
Interested students will need to submit a Scholarship Application (see link below).
Deadline for this scholarship is usually in late October/early November. Review Resources link for scholarship information.
- Recipient will receive $5000 per semester for a total of three semesters.
- Funds for at least one semester must be used to study abroad through an approved SD Mines study abroad program, preferably with the recipient earning credit for the international experience (contact the Ivanhoe International Center regarding programs).
- Recipient must be a rising junior or senior engineering student.
- Recipient must have at least a 3.0 cumulataive SD Mines grade point average.
- First preference will be given to US citizens.
Frank Family International Fund
SD Mines students only
Deadline for this scholarship is rolling until allocated funds are depleted.
Opportunities include scholarships for service projects that are at least 4 weeks in length.
Project must have strong service and cultural immersion components.
Study Abroad Funding (IIE Passport)
International Education Financial Aid
(Please also visit our Resources page)
Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship (must be receiving Pell grant)
Boren Scholarship for Undergraduates
Freeman Awards for study in Asia
Rotary International Ambassadorial Scholarships
Whitaker International Fellows and Scholars Program (Biomedical Engineering or Bioengineering)
Foreign Consular Offices in the US
Transportation Security Administration
ISIC - International Student Identity Card