Standard Student Checklist - Fall, 2014
Important steps to enrollment for Fall 2014 Students
[download a printed version of this information (pdf)]
- File your 2014-2015 Free Application for Financial Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible on or after January 1, 2014. We award our limited funded programs (Perkins Loan, SEOG and Work-Study) on a first come, first served basis until program funding runs out. All other Federal Aid programs (Pell Grant, Direct Student Loan, Graduate PLUS Loan and Parent PLUS Loan) are not limited in funding and are awarded regardless of when a student files their FAFSA after January 1. Awarding mid-to-late April to all students and on a rolling basis thereafter.
- Make arrangements for COMPASS placement testing (or accept your placement) and begin the course registration process (also available at Orientation as well as other locations and dates by appointment). Contact Toni Rhoades: (605) 394-2400, Toni.Rhoades@sdsmt.edu.
- Submit your course registration survey to register for courses.
- Send your final official high school (with graduation date) and/or college transcripts to:
- Office of Admissions
501 East Saint Joseph Street
Rapid City, SD 57701
- Advanced Credit: Submit AP and/or CLEP scores (if applicable).
- Submit proof of immunization.
- Complete the Global Perspective Inventory (GPI)
- Enter Access Code 3027 (if a transfer student, use code 3028)
- Start the Inventory (will take approximately 15-20 minutes)
- Have your student ID available- you will be asked for it upon completion
- Questions, please call the Career & Professional Development Center at 1-605-394-2667
- Save your spot at Orientation
- Football Orientation - August 12
- Cross-Country Orientation - August 17
- Soccer Orientation - August 17
- Volleyball Orientation - August 17
- FIRST Omniciye Bridge Week - August 17-21
- International students - August 20 (9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. - Bump Lounge) and August 21 (9:00 a.m. to Noon - Bump Lounge)
- Veterans' Orientation, August 21, 2014 (10 am - 12:00 pm - Veterans Resource Center)
- Transfer/Re-admitted/Non-traditional Orientation - Thursday, August 21: Click here to register online today.
- Fall 2014 New Student Orientation - Friday, August 22 and Saturday, August 23
- Contact (605) 394-2336, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tablet PC Information
- Tablet PCs are distributed through the listed orientation programs. Be sure to sign up for and attend any of the listed orientations in order to get your Tablet PC.
- For answers to your questions about the Tablet PC program, contact Brad O'Brien: (605) 394-2215, Bradley.Obrien@sdsmt.edu
- Online payment may be made via WebAdvisor using SDePay
- Get more with SDepay - view/print your eBill; sign up for a payment plan; pay your bill without standing in line by using credit or debit card (you will be charged a 2.75% service fee when using a card), Echeck or your payment plan.
- Payments may also be made at the Student Accounts and Cashiers Office in the Surbeck Center if you pay with cash or check (sorry no credit cards accepted in the Cashiers Office).
- Register for a parking permit (available July 1, 2014).
- Textbooks and Course Materials
- Course materials will be available for purchase from the Mines Bookstore, in-store and online, beginning August 1, 2014. Online payment options include all major credit cards as well as the EZ Short-Term Bookstore Loan. EZ Loan payment is due by September 5, 2014. Most students are eligible for the EZ Loan payment option and it is automatically made available to them to use if they wish.
- Mines Bookstore offers the best combination of convenience, price, selection, and service to students for their course material needs.
- For further information about course materials, payment options, and other services, please call Mines Bookstore at (605) 394-2374 or visit the store website at www.minesbookstore.com.
- Complete Direct Sub/Unsub and/or Perkins Entrance Loan Counseling (if applicable).
- Attend a mandatory Federal Work-Study Session (if applicable).
- All students who have been awarded Federal Work-Study must attend one of the information sessions. Session times tentatively set for August 25 & 26 from 3-5 pm in Classroom Building Rooms 203 & 205.
- Bring photo ID (Drivers License or School of Mines ID and Social Security Card)
- If you want your paycheck direct-deposited to a checking or savings account, bring a voided check or savings deposit slip
- For assistance, contact the Financial Aid Office: local (605) 394-2274, toll free (877) 877-6044 or email@example.com
- Move into your residence hall. Date: Thursday, August 21 (8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. followed by a mandatory meeting at 7:15 p.m.)
- Participate in the Freshman Service Project on Sunday, August 24. Students will be notified of times and service locations over the summer.
- Attend Welcome Week.
- Fall semester classes begin August 25, 2014.
- Pay your tuition and fees or make arrangements by 4 pm on September 5, 2014.
- Contact the ADA Coordinator (if applicable)
- Participate in the American Indian Omniciye Bridge Week
- If you are a veteran, participate in Veterans' Orientation:
- Participate in International Student Orientation:
Contact the Ivanhoe International Center if you have questions:
- Sign up for Adventure Weekend: