Standard Student Checklist - Fall, 2015
Important steps to enrollment for Fall 2015 Students
download a printed version of this information (pdf)]
- File your 2015-2016
Free Application for Financial Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible on or after January 1, 2015. We award our limited funded programs (Perkins Loan, SEOG and Work-Study) on a first come, first served basis until program funding runs out. All other Federal Aid programs (Pell Grant, Direct Student Loan, Graduate PLUS Loan and Parent PLUS Loan) are not limited in funding and are awarded regardless of when a student files their FAFSA after January 1. Awarding mid-to-late April to all students and on a rolling basis thereafter.
- Make arrangements for
COMPASS placement testing (or accept your placement) and begin the course registration process (also available at Orientation as well as other locations and dates by appointment). Contact the Registrar and Academic Services Office (RAS): (605) 394-2400.
- Submit your course registration survey to register for courses.
- Send your final official high school (with graduation date) and/or college transcripts to:
- Office of Admissions
501 East Saint Joseph Street
Rapid City, SD 57701
- Advanced Credit: Submit AP and/or CLEP scores (if applicable).
- Submit proof of immunization.
- Save your spot at Orientation
- Football Orientation - Tuesday, August 11
- Cross-Country Orientation - Sunday, August 16
- Soccer Orientation - Sunday, August 16
- Volleyball Orientation - Sunday, August 16
- American Indian Omniciye Bridge Week - August 16-20
- International students - August 19 (9:00 am to 3:00 pm - Bump Lounge) and August 20 (9:00 am to Noon - Bump Lounge)
- Veterans' Orientation, August 20 (10 am - 12:00 pm - Veterans Resource Center, Surbeck Center)
Click here to register online today.
- Transfer/Re-admitted/Non-traditional Orientation - Thursday, August 20:
Click here to register online today.
- Fall 2015 New Student Orientation - Friday, August 21 and Saturday, August 22
- Contact (605) 394-2336, firstname.lastname@example.org
Tablet PC Information
- Tablet PCs are distributed through the listed orientation programs. Be sure to sign up for and attend any of the listed orientations in order to get your Tablet PC.
- For answers to your questions about the Tablet PC program, contact Brad O'Brien: (605) 394-2215, Bradley.Obrien@sdsmt.edu
- Online payment may be made via
WebAdvisor using SDePay
- Get more with SDepay - view/print your eBill; sign up for a payment plan; pay your bill without standing in line by using credit or debit card (you will be charged a 2.75% service fee when using a card), Echeck or your payment plan.
- Payments may also be made at the Student Accounts and Cashiers Office in the Surbeck Center if you pay with cash or check (sorry no credit cards accepted in the Cashiers Office).
- Register for a parking permit (available July 1, 2015).
- Textbooks and Course Materials
- Course materials will be available for purchase from the Mines Bookstore, online beginning August 1, 2015 and in-store beginning August 3, 2015. Most internet orders placed on or before August 20th are processed and ready to pick up when students arrive for the beginning of the semester.
- Online payment options include all major credit cards as well as the EZ Short-Term Loan. When the EZ Short-Term Loan payment method is selected, the charge is added to the student’s account one business day after the transaction is processed. EZ Loan payment is due by Final Payment Date as Determined by the University. Most students are eligible for the EZ Loan payment option and it is automatically made available to them to use if they wish. Those students ineligible to use the EZ Loan may work with the StudentAccounts/Cashiering Office to see if other payment arrangements can be made.
- The Rocker Shop offers the best combination of convenience, price, selection, and service to students for their course material needs.
- For further information about course materials, payment options, and other services, please call the Rocker Shop at (605) 394-2374 or visit the store website at
- Complete Direct Sub/Unsub and/or Perkins
Entrance Loan Counseling (if applicable).
- FERPA Privacy Act
- No account information can be given to non-students unless the “Release of Information” authorization form, account information section has been signed.
FERPA Information Release Form
- Attend a mandatory Federal Work-Study Session (if applicable).
- All students who have been awarded
Federal Work-Study must attend one of the information sessions. Recipients will be notified of session date, location and time for each semester.
- You must bring to the meeting an original photo ID (driver's license or SD Mines ID card) OR U.S. Passport AND an original of one of the following: your Social Security Card or Birth Certificate. Please note: original documents are required; copies will not be accepted.
- If you want your paycheck direct-deposited to a checking or savings account, bring a voided check or savings deposit slip
- For assistance, contact the
Financial Aid Office: local (605) 394-2274, toll free (877) 877-6044 or
- Move into your
residence hall. Date: Thursday, August 20 (8:00 am to 6:00 pm followed by a mandatory meeting at 8:15 pm)
- Participate in the Freshman Service Project on Sunday, August 23. Students will be notified of times and service locations over the summer.
- Attend Welcome Week.
- Fall semester classes begin August 24, 2015.
- Pay your tuition and fees or make arrangements by 4 pm on September 4, 2015.
- Contact the ADA Coordinator (if applicable)
- Participate in the American Indian Omniciye Bridge Week
- If you are a veteran, participate in Veterans' Orientation:
- Participate in International Student Orientation:
Ivanhoe International Center if you have questions:
- Sign up for Adventure Weekend: