Admissions Requirements for Baccalaureate Degree Programs
Admission criteria are subject to change or amendment by the Board of Regents of South Dakota and by the six universities in the Board of Regents system. The following amended requirements have been approved by the BOR.
(Applicants younger than 24 years old at start of term)
The School of Mines will automatically admit students who meet the educational requirements and who:
- obtain an ACT composite score of 25 AND obtain an ACT math subscore of 25 (or SAT composite of 1130 and SAT Math subscore of 580) AND minimum cumulative GPA of a 2.0.
- OR obtain a high school GPA of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 scale and have taken four years of mathematics AND have an ACT math subscore of 20 or SAT math subscore of 480 AND have an ACT composite of 20 or SAT composite of 940.
- OR are South Dakota Regents’ Scholars
The School of Mines will carefully review and consider for acceptance applicants who meet the general education requirements and the following criteria.
- Obtain an ACT composite score of at least 20 (or SAT composite score of 940)*
- AND obtain an ACT math subscore of at least 20 (or SAT math subscore of 480)*
- AND achieve a high school GPA of at least 2.75 on a 4.0 scale*
*Applications from students with deficiencies are reviewed on an individual basis.
Former students who want to reapply for admission must submit another admission application and official transcripts directly to the Office of Admissions for all colleges attended since leaving the university. If you interrupt your attendance by a semester or more, you must reapply for admission. If a name change has occurred since prior attendance, additional documentation will be required. If your attendance has been interrupted by three or more semesters, you will be required to pay the $20 fee.
Transfer students who have earned fewer than 24 semester credits must also meet the freshman admission requirements above. Transfer students with 24 or more semester credits are eligible to be candidates for admission if they meet the standards below:
- Have a cumulative college grade point average of 2.75 or higher.
- Have proof of college algebra readiness.
- Are in good standing with their most recently attended school.
NOTE: Students with less than a 2.75 GPA may be admitted on probation, but each applicant is considered on an individual basis. Students with a lack of coursework or weak performance within mathematics and science classes are advised to improve their skills in these areas before applying.
Non-Degree Seeking Students
A student who desires to take classes at the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology without being classified as a degree-seeking student must complete the Application for Non-Degree Seeking Student. Non-degree seeking students are limited to enrolling in no more than 30 credit hours of courses without becoming a degree-seeking student. To verify prerequisites, non-degree seeking students may be required to submit an official copy of their previous college transcript(s). Non-Degree seeking students are not eligible to receive financial aid.
All applicants must complete the following required courses with a cumulative grade point average of a “C” or higher (2.0 on a 4.0 scale):
- 4 years of English
OR ACT English sub-test score of 18 or above OR AP English score of 3 or above
- 3 years of Advanced Mathematics (includes algebra or any higher level of math)
OR ACT Math sub-test score of 20 or above
OR AP Calculus score of 3 or above
- 3 years of Laboratory Science (includes biology, chemistry, physics, or other approved science courses in which there is a weekly lab period scheduled)
OR ACT Science Reasoning sub-test score of 17 or above
OR AP Science score of 3 or above
- 3 years of Social Science
OR ACT Social Studies/Reading sub-test score of 17 or above
OR AP Social Studies score of 3 or above
- 1 year of Fine Arts
OR AP Fine Arts score of 3 or above