An applicant for admission to the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology is considered a transfer applicant if he or she has enrolled for any college-level work, full or part-time, since graduation from high school or completion of GED.
Application Form and Fees
Transfer students apply to the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology using the standard Undergraduate Application for Admission. Before applying, be sure you have reviewed the Transfer Student Admissions Requirements below.
If you have attended a South Dakota public university as a degree-seeking student during any of the three semesters immediately prior to the term for which you are applying your application fee may be waived. If you stopped attending a South Dakota public university because you were deployed by the military, your fee may also be waived.
Transfer Student Application Process
- APPLY ONLINE to SDSM&T for admission
- Pay the $20 application fee —
applications are not processed until this fee is received.
- Submit official High School transcript or GED scores
these must be mailed directly from the high school (Department of Labor for GED scores) to
the SDSM&T Office of Admissions to be considered official.
- Submit official ACT or SAT score results —
required for transfer students under the age of 21.
- Provide proof of college algebra readiness —
as determined by college transfer courses
-OR- ACT/SAT math placement scores
-OR- by COMPASS assessment
- Submit official college/university transcripts —
have transcripts sent from all institutions previously attended or attending now, including any
online courses. These must be mailed directly or sent electronically from the Registrar’s Office to
the SDSM&T Office of Admissions to be considered official. Please provide your Registrar's Office with the email: firstname.lastname@example.org for all electronic transcript requests. (Per SD Board of Regent policy, faxed transcripts are considered unofficial and will not be used. Additionally, transcripts mailed in by the student cannot be used; they must be sent by the college/university directly.) Include
military transcripts, if applicable (AARTS, CCAF, SMART).Transfer students must request an OFFICIAL transcript from each post-secondary institution attended excluding the following South Dakota Board of Regents Institutions: Black Hills State University, Dakota State University, Northern State University, South Dakota School of Mines and Technology, South Dakota State University, University of South Dakota.
SDSM&T Mailing Address:
South Dakota School of Mines & Technology
Office of Admissions (O'Harra 200)
501 E St. Joseph St
Rapid City, SD 57701
Transfer Student Admissions Requirements
- Transfer students with 24 or more semester credits are eligible candidates for admission if they meet the following standards:
- Have a cumulative college grade point average of 2.75 or higher.
- Are College Algebra-ready as demonstrated by placement scores (or have already completed Intermediate Algebra or a higher-level math course as demonstrated on college transcript).
- Are in good standing with their most recently attended school.
- Minimum cumulative transfer GPA on all college work (24 or more total college credits) for acceptance consideration is 2.00.
- Applicants with cumulative transfer GPAs between 2.00 and 2.75 on all college work (24 or more total college credits) will be considered on an individual basis.
- Transfer students under the age of 24 who have earned fewer than 24 semester credits must also meet the freshman admission requirements.
Transfer Credit Equivalency Database