International Students Transferring From Another University
If you are an international student currently in the US, you will need to transfer your SEVIS record to our university. You must be fully admitted before transferring your SEVIS record.
Transfer Process in SEVIS
This process applies to students who 1) wish to transfer to a new university but have not completed a program at the current university, or 2) have completed a program at one university and wish to begin a second program at another university. This process is specifically to transfer your F-1 STATUS to another university.
- The student must notify the current school of his or her intent to transfer.
- The student must be fully admitted to the school to which he or she intends to transfer.
- F-1 students may initiate the transfer process in the sixty-day grace period after completion of a program. You may also initiate the process any time prior to the completion of a program.
- The designated school official (DSO) must indicate the school to which the student intends to transfer in SEVIS and sets a “Release Date” in SEVIS.
- The student must start the program at the new university within five months or less after leaving the old university.
Applying to More Than One School
The transferring student may apply to and be accepted by any number of schools. However, the SEVIS record may only be released to one school. The student must decide which school to attend prior to the transfer of the SEVIS record.
Once You Decide
Once the student decides which school he or she intends to attend, the following items may happen.
- The DSO of his or her current school will update SEVIS to reflect this choice and will enter the release date for the student.
- The student's name will then appear in SEVIS at the transfer school as an “alert” containing the student's name and release date.
- When the release date is reached, the transfer school will be able to issue the transferring student a new SEVIS Form I-20.
- If the student changes his or her mind prior to the release date, the DSO at the current school may cancel the transfer request.
- If the transfer request is cancelled, the student may continue studies at the current school or make a new request to be transferred to another school.
- Once the release date has been reached, the DSO at the current school will no longer access the student's record in SEVIS.
- If you are planning to travel outside the US prior to you starting date at the new institution, then you should have the new I-20 issued prior to your departure from the US.
If you have been admitted but your file is incomplete, we cannot complete the transfer process. The missing items will be indicated in your admission letter. Please contact the Ivanhoe International Center if you have any questions.
Please print, complete and send the transfer form for international students.