International Undergraduate Admissions
To Apply Now, click the button below.
Please review the "Application Requirements" section for REQUIRED SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS.
To be considered for undergraduate admission, international applicants must meet the following criteria. See "Application Requirements" below for details.
- Applicants should have a minimum GPA of 2.75 at both the secondary (high school) and post-secondary (college) education levels.
- Applicants must be proficient in English; please review details about our
- Applicants must provide an acceptable SAT or ACT score. Math sub-scores should be a minimum of 570 on the SAT or 25 on the ACT.
The following items are necessary before a request for admission can be
processed. If admitted, the form I-20 is usually necessary for admission to the
United States for college attendance. The REQUIRED items for admission are
- Completed online application and the State of South Dakota application fee of $20.00. (Your application will not be processed until the $20.00 fee is paid.)
- Academic credentials (translated into English). This includes high school transcripts and transcripts from ALL post-secondary institutions attended.
- OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS
- For a transcript to be considered official, it must be sent directly from the issuing institution to our university.
- All copied documents must be certified by an official school or government seal as originals or certified photocopies.
- ALL documents must be in a sealed envelope with university or government agency stamping across the seal.
- If you are attending an institution in the US and they have the official documents, they may send certified copies of these documents to us in the same manner.
- All documents become the property of the South Dakota School of Mines & Technology.
- English proficiency - This is usually the TOEFL or IELTS; please review details about our
- SAT or ACT scores - Math sub-scores should be a minimum of 570 on the SAT or 25 on the ACT. If the SAT or ACT is not readily available in your country, alternatives will be considered. Scores must be sent directly from the issuing organization. The website for SAT is:
http://sat.collegeboard.org/home and the website for ACT is:
SD Mines ACT code: 3922
SD Mines SAT code: 6652
- Evaluation of academic credentials. An academic department may require submission of academic credentials to an independent credential evaluation service, the charge for which will be paid by the student. SDSM&T only accepts credential evaluations from specified organizations. Those organizations are Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE) at
https://www.ece.org/ or World Education Services (WES) at
http://www.wes.org/. If you are a transfer student and want your transcripts evaluated for transfer credit, order a catalog match report from ECE, or a course by course report from WES.
Financial information documenting ability to pay. If you are admitted, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) requires that a US college or university issuing form I-20 or DS-2019 establish that the person to whom the form is issued is able to pay all educational and incidental expenses (see requirements ). The I-20 or DS-2019 form will not be issued without appropriate financial documents. Financial information is not required for admission.
To be considered for merit-based scholarships, you must be ADMITTED by January 15 and complete the scholarship application. The online scholarship application will be available beginning November 1 and is due by January 15. You must be accepted for admission to SD Mines prior to completing the scholarship application.
SD Mines does not have a specific deadline for admission. However, all international applicants should submit their documents at least three months prior to the start of the semester they plan to enroll. This will allow time to apply for the appropriate visa and to make travel arrangements.
Applications and Other Forms
Apply Online (preferred method)
Application form (paper) – Online applications preferred, but paper application forms may be requested by
sending an email to email@example.com
Costs and Fees for International Students