Organized by the Student Activities & Leadership Center, Adventure Weekend is open to all new, incoming students. Adventure Weekend is an opportunity for new students to meet one another, experience the Rapid City region, and form connections with returning students, faculty and staff. All adventures take place over various days and times throughout Labor Day Weekend, Aug. 30 - Sept. 1.
Space is limited for each Adventure, sign-up today! Please Note: Each student may sign-up for only one adventure. Once registration and payment is received your spot is reserved; no refunds will be issued. While we will make every attempt to keep to the activities and timelines listed, changes to the schedules may occur. All changes will be communicated to the registered students. To register click here.
This year, there are 10 adventures to select from:
- Stars and Rockets: South Dakota is the perfect place to see the moon and stars at their best and brightest! Come join the SEDS (Students for the Exploration and Development of Space) chapter launch model rockets high in the sky and then travel to an observatory to view various celestial bodies. You won't want to miss this evening's spectacular views! Sun. Aug. 31 (7pm-10pm). Cost: $10.00
- Rock Climbing at South Seas: Sponsored by the Hardrocker Climbing Club, this day-long adventure will travel into the Black Hills Rock to climb Seven Seas. Located near Mount Rushmore, this climb will give students an awesome view of Custer State Park, the Black Hills, and Mount Rushmore. Sat. Aug. 30 (9am - 7pm). Cost: $25.00
- Gold Panning and Rock Hounding: Sponsored by the Tech Geological Association student organization, this adventure will provide students with an opportunity to observe and learn about the rich geologic history of the Black Hills region. Activities will include hiking, gold panning, and rock and mineral collection at well-known collection sites in the Black Hills. Students will also have an opportunity to interact with current undergraduate students in Geology and Geological Engineering. Sat. Aug. 30, (10am-8pm). Cost: $20.00
- A weekend in Rapid City with Senate: Calling all freshmen who are interested in student government! Join the Student Association Senate for a weekend of fun in Rapid City! We will be driving go carts, picnicking in a local park, watching a movie on campus, and visiting a local water park over the weekend. The Student Association Senate will always be available to explain what it means to represent students on both the university and state levels. Sat. Aug. 30 (9:30am-2:30pm & 7pm-9pm) Sun. Aug. 31 (10:15am-5pm). Cost: $25.00
- SDSM&T Adventure Weekend: Sponsored by the Military Science Department, students will enjoy the great outdoors, learn team building skills, and meet their peers during this Geocaching/Orienteering and problem solving Adventure that will require leadership, teamwork and analytical skills. Prizes will be awarded to the top teams. Sat. Aug. 30 (9am-5pm). Cost: $10.00
- Nuclear Nerdvana: You never forget your first Nuclear Missile! Join the Physics Department in a visit to the South Dakota Air & Space Museum and enter one of the few remaining training bunkers used by the U.S. Air-force, which houses a Minuteman Nuclear Missile. Learn how Ellsworth Air Force Base aided in the defense of our country during the cold war era. Mon. Sept. 1 (9am-12pm). Cost: $10.00
- Digging into The Past: Sponsored by the Paleontology Club, will introduce you to the fascinating history of this state. During this adventure, you will search for fossils in the remnants of an ancient sea; learn how to properly prepare, care for, and make replicas of the great creatures of the past and enjoy a hike within the twisting sunbaked buttes of Badlands National Park. These buttes are one of the few places to expose the great rhino-like brontothere, the "thunder beast", which once thrived in the tropical landscape that existed in the wake of the dinosaurs. Sat. Aug. 30 (9am - 4:30pm)and Sun. Aug. 31 (8am - 5pm). Cost: $55
- Exploring Downtown Rapid City: Sponsored by the Student Activities & Leadership Center (SALC), this Adventure helps students delve deeper into the opportunities offered just a few blocks off campus. Students will tour museums, enjoy local eateries, add their own graffiti to Art Alley, learn about the Main Street Square and the sculptures in progress, and simply enjoy the camaraderie of their peers. Mon. Sept. 1 (1:15 - 6pm). Cost: $10.00
- Materials Minicamp: Sponsored by the Metallurgy and Materials Science Department, Materials Minicamp is a whole-day adventure in the realm of metallurgy and materials! Students will have the opportunity to experience blacksmithing, metal casting, materials testing, and optical/electron microscopy. In addition, students will be given a tour of the cutting edge Advanced Materials Processing and Joining Laboratory on campus, which includes the chance to see the research equipment in action. Sat. Aug. 30 (8:30am - 6pm). Cost: $0
- Serving and Exploring the Black Hills: InterVarsity Christian Fellowship would like to invite you to spend the weekend serving and exploring in the Black Hills. We will gather at 10am on Saturday to travel to our destination of service. Past projects have included clearing fallen trees, clearing debris and cleaning. Most of Saturday will be spent serving. Sunday will be spent exploring the Black Hills, mostly hiking with a little driving to the destination. You will need some sturdy shoes for work and hiking and long pants for the work on Saturday. You will also need a sleeping bag, pillow and other personal items. We will return by 7pm on Sunday. Sat. Aug. 30 (10am) through Sun. Aug. 31 (2pm). Cost: $45
- Camping & Hiking at Sylvan Lake: This is an overnight camping trip at Sylvan Lake Campground in beautiful Custer State Park. During the overnight retreat, you will experience the best of the Black Hills: hiking Harney Peak. Don’t miss out on an adventure set in the heart of the Black Hills while getting to know some of your peers. Sat. Aug. 30 (10am) through Sun. Aug. 31 (5pm). Cost: $30
To Register click here.