Resident Assistant and Residential Peer Mentor Application Information
Thank you for your interest in becoming a Resident Assistant or Residential Peer Mentor! Learn more about our openings for the 2017-2018 academic year below! Questions can be directed to your Area Coordinator or to our Residence Life Office.
Resident Assistant (RA) Application Information & Important Dates
RAs are vital members of the Residence Life staff. Each living community has an RA to ensure we create positive, healthy communities where students can live, learn, and thrive. RA selection is an in-depth process to ensure we hire the best RAs we can; through our selection process, we aim to hire students who will commit themselves to their communities, to their residents, and to our University. A complete job description will be online soon.
RA Selection Timeline
- Fri. Jan. 13: RA Applications Available Here
- Tues. Jan. 31: RA Applications and References Due
- Tues. Feb. 7: Group Interview Process, 8-10pm. All applicants must attend.
- Feb. 8-13: Individual Interviews
- Fri. Feb. 17: Hiring Notifications
- The online application must be completed in one sitting. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Please make sure you are prepared to answer all questions, especially our two essay questions. These essays should be no more than 500 words. We recommend writing your responses in Word and then copying/pasting into the online application
- Essay 1: How do you personally define inclusion? What does inclusion mean to you and what does inclusion look like in residential housing?
- Essay 2: What skills do you hope to bring to the RA position? What do you hope to learn?
- The group interview is required of all applicants and is scheduled for Tuesday, Feb. 7 from 8-10pm. Please ensure you clear your schedule now so that you can attend.
- You must have two references submit an online reference using our online form. Please provide your references the following link to complete this form: (coming soon)
- One reference must be a SD Mines faculty/staff member (non-ResLife)
- The other reference may be any person who can comment on your potential to be an RA
- Online evaluations are due Jan. 31
Residential Peer Mentor (RPM) Application Information & Important Dates
The Residential Peer Mentor (RPM) serves as an important academic resource to their assigned residential community by providing tutoring, mentoring, and academic activities. The RPM jointly reports to the Tech Learning Center (TLC) and to the Residence Life Office. RPMs are assigned to the Connolly/Palmerton community and the Peterson community. RPM selection is a competitive process that aims to hire students who are passionate about helping peers succeed and passionate about our University. A complete job description will be online here soon.
RPM Selection Timeline
- Mon. Feb. 6: RPM Applications Available Here
- Thurs. Feb. 23: RPM Applications Due
- Tues. Feb. 28: RPM Interviews