Resident Assistant and Residential Peer Mentor Application Information
Thank you for your interest in becoming a Resident Assistant or Residential Peer Mentor! Please see below for important information about both positions within Residence Life.
Resident Peer Mentor (RPM) Application Information & Important Dates
The Residential Peer Mentor (RPM) serves
as an important academic resource to their assigned residential
community by providing tutoring, mentoring, and academic activities.
The RPM jointly reports to the Tech Learning Center (TLC) and to the
Residence Life Office. RPMs are assigned to the Connolly/Palmerton
community and the Peterson community. RPM selection is a competitive
process that aims to hire students who are passionate about helping
peers succeed and passionate about our University. The complete RPM position description is available online here.
- Thurs. Feb. 26: Online RPM Application Available Here
- Fri. March 6: RPM Application Due
- March 18-19: RPM Interviews
- Fri. March 20: Decision emails sent
Resident Assistant (RA) Application Information & Important Dates
RAs are vital members of the Residence Life staff. Each living community has an RA to ensure we create positive, healthy communities where students can live, learn, and thrive. RA selection is an in-depth process to ensure we hire the best RAs we can; through our selection process, we aim to hire students who will commit themselves to their communities, to their residents, and to our University. For more information and to see everything the RA does, download the RA Position Description here.
- Wed. Jan. 14: Online RA Application Available Here
- Wed. Jan. 14: RA Information Session I. 6pm, Dorr
- Thurs. Jan. 15: RA Information Session II. 6pm, Dorr
- Mon. Feb. 9: RA Application Due, 5pm
- Thurs. Feb. 12: Group Process I. 7-9pm, McKeel
- Tues. Feb. 17: Group Process II. 8-10pm, McKeel
- Feb. 19-25: Individual Interviews
- March 2: Decision Emails Sent
Each candidate must submit an online application by Feb. 9, 5pm. This online application contains important items you should be prepared to answer--note the application must be completed in one sitting; the below items should be prepared before you begin:
- Essay Questions: The below essay questions will be part of the application. We recommend typing the responses to these questions out in Word and copying/pasting into the application. Answers should be limited to no more than 500 words.
- What is your personal philosophy on diversity and multiculturalism?
- What skills do you hope to bring to the RA position? What do you hope to learn?
- Group Interview: You must select one of two group interview processes. Please know which process you will sign-up for:
- Thurs. Feb. 12 (7-9pm)
- Tues. Feb. 17 (8-10pm)
- References: Know the names and contact information of your two references
Two references are required to complete the online reference form. RA candidates should provide references with the online reference link so they may complete the form by Mon. Feb. 9. One reference must be a SD Mines faculty or staff member; the second reference may be a person of the candidate's choice. Residence Life staff are not eligible to be references.
Each RA candidate must attend one group interview on either Feb. 12 or Feb. 17. Dress for this interview is casual.
Each RA candidate will attend one 45-minute individual interview with current residence life staff. Dress for this interview is business casual. The date, time, and location of this interview will be emailed to each candidate.