Current International Students Resources

The Ivanhoe International Center assists international students at the SD Mines campus, sponsors multicultural events, and works to enrich the cultural experiences available to Mines students.  On this page find information and resources useful to our current international students. We're here to help, so please contact us if you have questions or need assistance.

Find out more about:

On Campus Resources

There are many resources at SD Mines that will benefit international students.  We highlight some of these below:

Other Useful Resources and Information

Government (Immigration & State Dept.)

Social Security Numbers

Social Security Numbers - information applies to the Rapid City, South Dakota Social Security office.

Most international students at the South Dakota School of Mines & Technology apply for a Social Security Number within their first semester at SDSM&T. In order to apply for a number at the local Social Security office, you must be in valid F-1 or J-1 status and you must have an on campus job or job offer.

When you go to apply for a Social Security number, you must take the following items: 

  • Application form (available at:
  • I-20 form (for F-1 students) or IAP-66 form (for J-1 students)
  • Passport
  • I-94 card (stapled inside your passport)
  • Job or job offer letter on department letterhead
  • Letter from designated school official (DSO, at the Ivanhoe International Center)

The Social Security office is located at 605 Main Street, Suite 201. You will go down a hallway to an elevator, which will take you to the second floor. Upon entering the Social Security office, take a number!! You must have a number, or you will not be helped.

Once you have filed the application properly, it will take 2-4 weeks to receive your Social Security card. When you receive it, please bring it to the Ivanhoe International Center. We will make a copy of it for our records, and we will change your identification number in the main computer system. You should use your Social Security number as your ID number from this point on.

Make sure you always keep your Social Security card in a safe place. The number you receive now is the number you will have for the rest of your life.

Income Tax

ALL international students must file an income tax return, even if the student does not have any income!!!!

The type of form you file and the deadline is based on whether or not you had any income. If you had any income at all, the filing deadline is April 15. If you did not have any income at all, then the filing deadline is June 15.

This page provides links to general information for income tax requirements for F-1 students:

Helpful links at other universities:

Free tax assistance is also offered on campus, beginning in mid to late February.

ESL (English as a Second Language) Web Resources

These resources should be used in conjunction with a traditional ESL program. The resources listed here are supplemental and are not intended to replace vital classroom instruction.

Forvo - "All the words in the world. Pronounced"

Howjsay - English pronouncing dictionary with instant sound

Suggestions from National American University:  - Dave's ESL Café - includes idioms, vocabulary, quizzes, chat rooms, etc. - Interesting Things for ESL students - includes games, puzzles, quizzes, vocabulary, reading, and pronunciation - minimal pairs, songs, etc. - Randall's ESL Cyber Listening Lab; listening practice for students, improving comprehension skills through practice, self-grading Links to ESL web sites, Idioms/Slang section - good grammar resources and quizzes. - Chegg Tutors