Current International Students Resources

Study Resources on Campus

Health Insurance

The South Dakota Board of Regents (SDBOR) MyHealth student health insurance plan with Avera Health Plans will no longer be offered. At the June 11, 2014 Board of Regents meeting it was decided that due to the significant increase in the proposed premiums for student health insurance for the upcoming 2014-2015 academic year, that SDBOR would no longer offer a student health insurance plan. Coverage from the 2013-2014 academic year will terminate on July 31, 2014 for students currently enrolled in the Avera Health Plans insurance plan.

For all foreign national students, BOR Policy 3.14 requires that you have credible health insurance as determined by the SD Board of Regents. You are responsible for purchasing health insurance coverage that meets BOR Policy 3.14 requirements, any federal visa requirements, and IRS regulations. For detailed IRS regulations please visit:

The South Dakota Board of Regents has identified several health insurance plan design options for you to choose from, the acceptable plans are outlined below. You will be required to provide proof of coverage to your University representative. If you do not provide proof of insurance, you will not be able to enroll in any SD Board of Regents university. However, under limited circumstances, SDBOR may waive this requirement if a student provides adequate proof of coverage by completing the Health Insurance Waiver Request Form. The following reasons (listed below) will qualify you for a waiver of the health insurance requirement:

Students must provide proof of insurance by September 1.
Please send confirmation to
Embassy Sponsored Insurance – Documentation due no later than 10/1.

  • Employer Sponsored (including Medical Evacuation and Repatriation)
  • ISEP Exchange
  • Indefinite Residence
  • Provide Documentation of SD Domicile based on Visa Status (defined by BOR)
  • Athletics

Link for ISO Student Health Insurance -  

Driver's License Information

The documentation required to obtain a South Dakota driver’s license changed on 12/31/09. Please note that you will need to take the following documents with you when you go to apply for a driver’s license or renew the old one.

Proof of Identity

  1. Unexpired foreign passport w/US visa and approved I-94 form (white card in passport) documenting the applicant’s most recent admittance to the United States.
  2. Unexpired SEVIS I-20 for a student in F-1 status or SEVIS DS-2019 for a student in J-1 status.
  3. If your name has a different spelling or order on your documents, please provide an explanation to the driver’s license examiner.

Date of Birth – please note that in the US we use Month/Day/Year, or MM/DD/YYYY.  These numbers need to match on all documents.

Proof of Social Security Number (SSN) or proof of ineligibility for a SSN.

  1. If you have a SSN, please take the card with you or a recent pay stub.
  2. If you do not have the SSN, you will need a letter from the International Student Advisor stating that you are not eligible for the SSN.

Documents demonstrating principal place of residence.

  1. Items listed on the SD web page include the following: utility bill, credit card statement, pay stub, rent receipt, phone bill, transcript, bank statement, renter’s insurance policy.
  2. School payment receipt with local address
  3. Bank account info or letter from bank with principal place of residence
  4. If you are new to campus and the area, you may need a letter from the International Student Advisor that includes your address.

Evidence of lawful status in the US.  (This information is the same as in item #1.)

  1. Unexpired foreign passport w/US visa and approved I-94 form documenting the applicant’s most recent admittance to the United States.
  2.  Unexpired SEVIS I-20 for a student in F-1 status or SEVIS DS-2019 for a student in J-1 status.

NOTE:  The visa in the passport may be expired, but the I-94 should have a notation of “D/S”, which means “Duration of Status”.  As long as the student is maintaining his or her F-1 or J-1 student status and the I-20 or DS-2019 is valid, the student is lawfully present in the United States. 

Dependents of F-1 or J-1 students would have derivative status of F-2 or J-2 and also have lawful status in the US.  The same guidelines apply to F-2 and J-2 dependents.

If you get a Social Security number in the future, please take it to the Driver’s License exam station, along with your driver’s license, so they can update your records.

Career Center



Organizations and Support

Student Support  (including Pastorial Counseling and Care, Counseling, Disability Services)

Information Technology Services (ITS) - especially helpful with Tablet PC issues and questions

Social Security Numbers

Social Security Numbers - information applies to the Rapid City, South Dakota Social Security office.

Most international students at the South Dakota School of Mines & Technology apply for a Social Security Number within their first semester at SDSM&T. In order to apply for a number at the local Social Security office, you must be in valid F-1 or J-1 status and you must have an on campus job or job offer.

When you go to apply for a Social Security number, you must take the following items: 

  • Application form (available at:
  • I-20 form (for F-1 students) or IAP-66 form (for J-1 students)
  • Passport
  • I-94 card (stapled inside your passport)
  • Job or job offer letter on department letterhead
  • Letter from designated school official (DSO, at the Ivanhoe International Center)

The Social Security office is located at 605 Main Street, Suite 201. You will go down a hallway to an elevator, which will take you to the second floor. Upon entering the Social Security office, take a number!! You must have a number, or you will not be helped.

Once you have filed the application properly, it will take 2-4 weeks to receive your Social Security card. When you receive it, please bring it to the Ivanhoe International Center. We will make a copy of it for our records, and we will change your identification number in the main computer system. You should use your Social Security number as your ID number from this point on.

Make sure you always keep your Social Security card in a safe place. The number you receive now is the number you will have for the rest of your life.

Income Tax

ALL international students must file an income tax return, even if the student does not have any income!!!!

The type of form you file and the deadline is based on whether or not you had any income. If you had any income at all, the filing deadline is April 15. If you did not have any income at all, then the filing deadline is June 15.

This page provides links to general information for income tax requirements for F-1 students:

Helpful links at other universities:

Free tax assistance is also offered on campus, beginning in mid to late February.

ESL Web Resources

These resources should be used in conjunction with a traditional ESL program. The resources listed here are supplemental and are not intended to replace vital classroom instruction.

Forvo - "All the words in the world. Pronounced"

Howjsay - English pronouncing dictionary with instant sound

Suggestions from National American University:  - Dave's ESL Café - includes idioms, vocabulary, quizzes, chat rooms, etc. - Interesting Things for ESL students - includes games, puzzles, quizzes, vocabulary, reading, and pronunciation - minimal pairs, songs, etc. - Randall's ESL Cyber Listening Lab; listening practice for students, improving comprehension skills through practice, self-grading Links to ESL web sites, Idioms/Slang section - good grammar resources and quizzes.

From the University of South Dakota's ESL page: