Professional Development Institute
What It Is
The Professional Development Institute is a select group of recognized student leaders dedicated to the advancement of professional development for all SDSMT students.
Students must be nominated and interviewed by faculty/staff to be Institute members. Students are nominated based on the following criteria:
- Existing student leaders
- Exceptional team members, effective at collaboration and conflict resolution
- Respectful and appreciative of human differences
- Dedicated to community involvement and civic engagement
- Strong in their sense of identity and personal development
- Ethical in their decision-making
- Experienced with research/internships/co-ops or career planning
- Positive role models and mentors
- Students with a strong academic record
- Full-time SDSMT students, undergraduate or graduate
To prepare future professionals by engaging students in leadership roles and collaborative efforts; helping develop effective communication skills; fostering understanding and appreciation of human diversity; inspiring civic engagement; providing and supporting career opportunities; and aiding in personal development.