Facility Use Guidelines
Surbeck Public Areas
The public areas of Surbeck Center (the South Lounge, Rec Room, Miner's Shack seating and the Student Organization area) are designed for the use of our students. On occasion, events may be scheduled in these areas, but for the majority of time, these areas are intended for
students who are studying or hanging out with friends, as well as for faculty and staff use.
Recognized student organizations and university departments or groups have first priority in reserving and using meeting rooms in the Surbeck Center. However, Surbeck staff will
reserve and assign space to optimize the needs of all parties; this
may involve reassignment of your event after
Individual students are welcome to use conference and meeting rooms in Surbeck within the following guidelines:
- Events related to completion of degrees (oral exams, thesis defense, etc) may use Surbeck Center meeting rooms at no cost.
- Special events or activities not sponsored by a student organization but attended by SD Mines students may be charged room rent. Such activities will be reviewed by the Director of Surbeck Center. Requestors will be notified in writing of decisions related to rent charges prior to confirming the room
- A Guaranteed Count is required two university working days prior to all catered events. If Surbeck Scheduling staff does not receive a guaranteed count, your estimated number will be used.
- The guaranteed count represents the number of people that will be attending your event. You will be responsible for this number of servings or the actual number of persons served, whichever is greater. Dining Services will be prepared to serve five percent (5%) more than your guaranteed count.
- Small increases in the count can normally be accepted up to the day of your event (no less than six hours please). Reductions of the guaranteed count are not permitted.
- In the event your catered function is cancelled, please notify us as soon as possible. Dining Services requires at least two university working days notice or there will be charges based on expenses incurred on your behalf.
Hold Status - for internal users
As a courtesy to internal users, Surbeck Scheduling allows for space to be "held" without finalized details for 48 hours. The hold will be released if additional details are not received by Surbeck Scheduling within the 48 hours timeframe.
- All equipment (tables, chairs, AV equipment, mobile units, etc.) must be reserved through Surbeck Scheduling.
- All equipment must be picked up and signed for by the department/office/individual at the Surbeck main desk.
- All equipment must be returned on the scheduled date and signed in at the Surbeck main desk by the department/office/individual.
- Furnishings are provided in each meeting room; please inform Surbeck Scheduling of your furnishing needs when you reserve the space. If you move furniture within the meeting room to accommodate your group's needs without notifying Scheduling, please return furniture to its original location.
- Flip charts, dry erase boards, AV equipment, projections screens, etc., should all be reserved at the time of your initial room request.
- Equipment needed for off-campus use MUST be reserved at least one working day in advance. Advance notice is needed to gain approval for state owned property to leave campus. Any equipment leaving campus for non-SDSMT related reasons must have a written agreement on file and charges will be applied and a deposit will be required.
- The following equipment is not available for off-campus rental: microphones, projections screens, portable sound system and or ballroom chairs.
- Rolling dividers and white boards will be delivered by SDSM&T facilities and delivery charges will apply.
- Non campus/state organizations may only rent equipment if there are no other rental options available in Rapid City.
- Rentals going outside Rapid City city limits require special authorization.
- The maximum length of equipment rental is one week.
Posting Information/Use of Signs>
- All items posted in the Surbeck Center must be submitted at the Surbeck Front Desk for authorization. The Surbeck Desk staff will post approved signs on the appropriate bulletin board within the building. Signs should not be taped to the sidewalk or patio areas within 10 feet of the
- The Surbeck Center has easels that may be scheduled for posting foam core boards; T-stands for posting banners; and wall divider panels for posting a series of information. These items should be scheduled in advance through Surbeck scheduling. Location of these
special postings is at the discretion of Surbeck Center staff to ensure traffic flow, egress from the building, and best use of facility space overall. Sandwich boards, unless specifically approved by Surbeck Scheduling, are not to be used.
- Items posted on easels in Surbeck Center must be removed immediately following the event and may not be displayed more than 3 days prior to an event.
- Weekly meetings advertised on easels may be displayed only on the day of the meeting.
Room rental fees will be charged in accordance with SDSM&T Policy (VI-A-13) Assessing User Fees: Scheduling,Events, Conferences.
Damage charges may be assessed to any users for damages to rooms or equipment caused during that user being in the reserved space. Users should be aware that use of certain tapes or adhesives on the walls may cause extensive (and expensive) repairs.
Blue tape is available at the Surbeck Main Desk for use during meetings and events. Tripods, movable panels and T-sign holders are also available for posting information and hanging banners or backdrops. (See Posting Information/Signs above)
Cancellation and Late Change (or Scramble) Fees
To ensure facilities, equipment, and services are available to the scheduling community in a fair and equitable manner, a cancellation fee will be assessed to those persons or groups who fail to notify the Surbeck Scheduling staff of their reservation cancellation. Comparably, changes in set-up, equipment needs, etc. without minimum notice will be charged.
Per SD Mines Policy VI-A-12, scheduling, cancellation, or change of date, time, or setup without minimum notice as listed below will result in charges being assessed.
- Routine meetings or small events – 10 am of business day before event
- Special events (or events exceeding more than 50 attendees) – three to ten days prior to event depending on scale of event
When, in the course of providing a requested resource for a University function, a department becomes exposed to direct and unavoidable expenses, those expenses may be passed on to the entity requesting the resource. These expenses could be equipment rentals or staffing expenses for extended hours of operation or complex room set-ups.