CSA, NFE and Faculty
Civil Service Association (CSA)
Civil Service includes all employees not exempted in accordance to ARSD 55:01:03:02.01. Criteria for exemption from the Civil Service Act include managerial duties at a policy-making level, high degrees of confidentiality, and responsibility for providing advice of a legal or technical nature to a department secretary, bureau commissioner, or institution administrator.
CSA General Membership meetings are held the 3rd Thursday of every other month: June, August, October, December, February, and April.
The agenda for the meetings include:
- An introduction of new employees
- An update of the balance in the Jeans Day charity account
- Presentation of TEA awards
- Updates from Committee members
- Guest speaker/Program
The Mission of the Civil Service organization is
- To interact with the administration, the faculty, exempt employees, and the students for the purpose of improving the quality of the campus environment.
- To promote better employment conditions for the welfare and best interests of its members. To improve job efficiency and to present training and informational programs to the membership.
CSA Traditions of Excellence Awards (TEA)
The Civil Service Council, in conjunction with the Office of the President, is proud to announce the institution of the TEA Award. Campus members nominate a Civil Service employee whom they feel has performed their assigned duties at a high level or above and beyond expectations, who has taken the initiative to promote the concept of successful job completion and has promoted a positive working relationship with students, faculty and staff.
TEA Nomination Form and Instructions
CSA Class Specifications
Non-Faculty Exempt (NFE)
Non-Faculty Exempt are employees who are not faculty but are exempt from the State Civil Service System based on South Dakota Codified Law 3-6A-13. These are employees who perform administrative and professional/technical support functions.
Faculty are employees who are in faculty related positions who are exempt from the State Civil Service System and perform research, instruction, and other faculty duties. Some of these positions may be part of the collective bargaining agreement (CBA) and the recognized union representatives are Council of Higher Education (COHE).
University Faculty Interim Terms and Conditions of Employment (COHE)