SDSMT initiated the Tablet PC program in Fall of 2006. Since that time, all incoming freshman classes were required to be part of the program. SDSMT is now requiring almost all students to be part of the Tablet Program. This page will explain the criteria necessary to be allowed to opt-out of the SDSMT Tablet Program. We have implemented an online Opt-Out form that will check to see if the student qualifies to Opt-Out of the program and will highlight the reason that applies to the student, or will warn the student that they do not fall into any of the categories. Here is the list of criteria in which at least one reason must be met in order for students to be given the option of opting out.
Reasons I can Opt Out of the SDSMT Tablet Program:
- I am taking less than 6 credits at SD Board of Regents Universities. If a student is taking credits at more than one SD University, the total number of credits at all Universities must be less than 6 in a given semester.
- I am an international exchange student and I understand that if I need a tablet PC for my classes they are available for rent on an hourly or daily basis from Tablet Central. There are students studying from abroad and only here for a short amount of time that are not required to be part of the Tablet Program.
- I started SDSMT before the fall semester of 2006 and have been continuously enrolled at SD Board of Regents University since that time. Students who have been here since before fall of 2006 were not required to be in the program, so they have the option of opting out if they entered the program throughout their careers.
- I transferred to SDSMT before the fall semester of 2008 and have been continuously enrolled at a SD Board of Regents University since that time. Transfer students were not required to be part of the SDSMT Tablet Program until Fall of 2008. Therefore all transfers prior to that date are eligible for opting out.
- SDSM&T is not my home university.
- I am a Special or Graduate student. Special or Graduate students are flagged as such in the database, and are therefore not required to be part of the Tablet Program. Special students would be non-degree seeking students taking a class for furthering education, high school students taking a class for advanced learning, etc.
When using the online opt-out process, these criteria are automatically checked and displayed upon logging in. There could be an issue with the online data in which a student falls into one of these categories but does not appear that way in the database. We have implemented an override that allows a student to explain which criteria they fall into, and forwards the opt-out to the Registrar to begin the opt-out process.
ALL opt-outs MUST be approved by the Registrar. Once the Registrar has approved the opt-out, the student must return their tablet (assuming they were issued one previously) before any refund will be assessed. Also, if the opt-out reason is a student taking less than 6 credits, the Registrar will verify the student still has less than 6 credits at the end of the drop/add period (10 days into the semester) before issuing the refund.
Opt-Out questions and concerns can be routed to the Registrar (Barb Dolan) at: Barbara.Dolan@sdsmt.edu (394-2400)
To begin the Opt-Out process, please visit the following link and log in.