Visit the Museum of Geology
Open to the Public - Fun and Free!
Geology is a fascinating and broad science that incorporates many other sciences! At the Museum of Geology, you'll find many compelling exhibits focusing on:
- PALEONTOLOGY - the study of ancient life, and
- MINERALOGY - the study of minerals, including gems, crystals, and the rocks they form
Come and see
- Fascinating mounted skeletons of dinosaurs, mammals, marine reptiles, and fish
- Rare fossils from the White River Badlands, arranged in time-specific dioramas
- Mineral displays including the Hall of South Dakota Minerals, meteorites, and a fluorescent mineral room that's sure to captivate
- Engaging displays
- The Kids' Zone offers hands on experiences for our young visitors
- Museum gift shop with toys, books, models, and more -- many unique items!
Tours and Events
- The Museum is a popular stop for tourists as well as a favorite of residents of the community
- Guided tours are available for groups. Please call ahead to schedule at (605) 394-2467
- Popular events for children include the annual "Night At The Museum" (fall) and "Dinosaur Extravaganza" (spring)
- Paleo trips for families or individuals are available in the summer. Experience what it's like to be a geologist!
Admission is FREE! Donations are always appreciated.
Activity 99? Here's your
If you're visiting us online, we'd like to introduce you to our
Online Exhibits. These dynamic visual presentations showcase research by SD Mines faculty and students. Learn more about research and exploration here in the Black Hills and across the globe.
Our featured Online Exhibit (right): Black Hills Story Map