More than 100 professionals expected at 49th annual Concrete Conference
RAPID CITY, S.D. (Feb. 22, 2013) – The South Dakota School of Mines & Technology will host the 49th annual Concrete Conference, “Concrete Project Management: Performance, Schedule and Cost,” Friday, March 1, in the Surbeck Center ballroom.
More than 100 professionals in all phases of the concrete industry from throughout South Dakota and Wyoming will attend. Among them will be contractors, concrete suppliers and representatives from testing firms and government agencies.
Anne Ellis, vice president of American Concrete Institute (ACI) and vice president of AECOM, will deliver the luncheon address from noon-1:30 p.m. Ellis, who has more than 32 years of experience in the architecture, engineering and construction industries, is co-author of the “Concrete Design and Construction” section of the Standard Handbook for Civil Engineers, 5th Edition. She will also lead an afternoon session on “Concrete Buildings that Inspire.”
Two School of Mines alumni – Cliff MacDonald, director of engineering at FORTA Corp., and Lars Anderson, manager of the quality control staff and concrete materials laboratory at Cemstone in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area – will be among the featured speakers. Other speakers will be Tom Greene, regional technical services manager for Grace Construction Products, based in Houston; John Schemmel, Valparaiso University civil engineering professor; and Tony Koiundic, a founding board member of the Silica Fume Association and business manager for Elkem Materials in Pittsburgh.
Sponsors of this year’s Concrete Conference are: GCC of America, Dakota Chapter of ACI, South Dakota Ready Mix Concrete Association, Croell Redi-Mix Inc., Hills Materials Co., Pete Lien & Sons Inc., Cretex West, LAFARGE-NA, School of Mines Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering and the SDSM&T ASCE student chapter.
The schedule is:
- 7:30-8 a.m. Final registration
- 8-8:05 a.m. Welcome by SDSM&T Acting President Duane Hrncir, Ph.D.
- 8:05-8:10 a.m. Introductions and moderator, Damon Fick, Ph.D., SDSM&T
- 8:10-9:05 a.m. “Concrete Project Management Defined,” Cliff MacDonald
- 9:05-10 a.m. “Mixture Design and Proportioning,” Lars Anderson
- 10:30-11:15 a.m. “Sulfates Aggregates in Concrete,” John Schemmel
- 11:15-11:55 a.m. “Chemical Admixtures in Concrete,” by Tom Greene
- Noon-1:20 p.m. Lunch and news from ACI-International, Anne Ellis
- 1:30-2:15 p.m. “Mineral Ad Mixtures in Concrete,” Tony Kojundic
- 2:15-3 p.m. “Concrete Buildings that Inspire,” Anne Ellis
- 3:30-4 p.m. “Fibers in Concrete,” Cliff MacDonald
- 4-5 p.m. Open discussion