RAPID CITY, S.D. (Sept. 4, 2013) - Entries are being sought for the upcoming School of Mines M Week parade on Sept. 21.
The South Dakota School of Mines & Technology's annual M Week, which celebrates the university's equivalent of homecoming, will be Sept. 14-22 with a theme of "Rocker Days."
The parade will begin at 1:10 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 21, at the university's Surbeck Center front parking lot, 501 E. Saint Joseph St. It will travel down Main Street to Seventh Street where it will turn back onto Saint Joseph Street and end at O'Harra Stadium on campus.
Parade goers are invited for pre-parade family activities featuring Grubby, the university's miner mascot, at Main Street Square. Activities will include face painting, balloon artists, a magician, music and games.
Local school groups and organizations are invited to participate in the parade. For entry information, call or email Cheryl Dillon at 394-2336 or Cheryl.Dillon@sdsmt.edu.
The celebratory week will kick off on Saturday, Sept. 14, with the annual president's M Hill breakfast. The highlight will be the Hardrocker football game against Jamestown College at 5 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 21.
Activities throughout the week include a picnic at Dinosaur Park, coronation of the king and queen, whitewashing the "M" on M Hill, the Wharton Memorial Run and parade.
The full M Week schedule:
Saturday, Sept. 14
- President's breakfast
- Students mow and clean around letters on M Hill
Sunday, Sept. 15
- Senior/frosh picnic at Dinosaur Park, 11 a.m.-2 p.m.
Monday, Sept. 16
- Introduction of candidates, 7 p.m., Surbeck ballroom
- Professional attire fashion show, 8 p.m., ballroom
- Dance, 9 p.m., ballroom
Tuesday, Sept. 17
- Armadillo's ice cream and Elks Theatre movie night
Wednesday, Sept. 18
- Theme night - Illusionist Joel Meyer, 8 p.m., ballroom
Thursday, Sept. 19
- President's coronation reception with candidates
- Coronation, 7 p.m., ballroom
- Bonfire, following coronation
Friday, Sept. 20
- M Hill picnic and hill climb, noon, students walk from university to Founder's Park
- Whitewashing the "M," following picnic in Founder's Park
Saturday, Sept. 21
- Wharton Memorial Run, 9 a.m., Founder's Park
- Goodell Gymnasium floor dedication in honor of former Coach Barb Felderman, 10 a.m., King Center
- Family activities at Main Street Square, noon
- M Week parade, 1:10 p.m.
- Soccer game, 2 p.m., Sioux Park
- Football game, 5 p.m., O'Harra Stadium
- Traditional frosh run at halftime
Sunday, Sept. 22
- Student/alumni connection golf scramble, 11 a.m., Executive Golf Course
Founded in 1885, the South Dakota School of Mines & Technology is a science and engineering research university located in Rapid City, S.D., offering bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees. The university enrolls more than 2,400 students from 32 countries, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 14:1. The average starting salary for 2012 graduates was $62,696 with a 98 percent placement rate. Find us online at www.sdsmt.edu, on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/sdsmt and on Twitter at https://twitter.com/sdsmt.