RAPID CITY, S.D. (March 15, 2017) – Registration is now open for SD Mines’ 2017 summer camps. Camps range from 3D printing, forensics and paleontology to mining explosives, entrepreneurship, coding and cyber security. The unique, high-quality residential camps offer high school students the opportunity to engage in hands-on experiments and make connections with, professors, like-minded peers and industry leaders nationwide. The goal is to encourage the next generation to pursue careers in science, technology, engineering and math and get a taste of college life.
Students spend a week on campus working one-on-one with professors to get college level experience and access to immersive experiments. Each camp offers opportunities to explore some of the local activities and attractions that make the Rushmore Region famous. Students travel from as far away as New York, Florida, California and Texas.
Registration for the academic summer camps is filling fast; the geology, materials and metallurgy and GenCyber camps are already full.
- Fossils –The Path of the Paleontologist, June 11-16
- Camp Construct – Civil and Environmental Engineering, June 11-16
- Mining and Explosives – Mining Engineering, June 18-23
- Wild Weather – The Science Beyond Weather and Climate June 18-23
- Geology Rocks –Youth Field Camp in the Black Hills, July 9-14
- Entrepreneur Bootcamp – Industrial Engineering, July 9-14
- Chemical & Biological – Engineering Institute, July 9-14
- Green Chemistry – Treat the Earth with Respect, July 9-14
- ASM Materials, Metallurgy & Forensics – Metallurgical Engineering, July 10-14
- 3D and Beyond – Mechanical Engineering in the New World, July 16-21
- GenCyber Girls Camp – a computer programming camp backed by NSA, July 16-21.
For more information on the academic summer camps at Mines, call (605) 394-1261, email Taylor.Davis@sdsmt.edu or visit http://www.sdsmt.edu/SummerCamps.
Also, available this spring and summer are a wide range of athletic activities for K-12 youth. Camps, clinics and tournaments for football, soccer, basketball and volleyball are available for boys and girls of various ages and with various skill levels. These activities run March through July. For a schedule and more information visit Hardrocker Athletics.