Inventing Tomorrow . . .
Research is key to the success of tomorrow. Student researchers, scientists and our award-winning faculty make incredible breakthroughs in science and engineering every day at the School of Mines. Our job is to move their research out of the lab and make it a part of solving real-world problems in business, industry, and beyond.
The intellectual property generated is a valuable resource and asset for our university. Starting with the invention disclosure, we handle all aspects of protecting and commercializing this intellectual property, commonly referred to as IP. The Office of Economic Development will evaluate the disclosure, research it’s market potential and work to license the technology to industry or assist in creating a University start-up.
SDSM&T has one of the most generous royalty policies in the country for university inventors and a dedicated team to see that reaches it potential.
You can contact the Office of Economic Development at (605) 394-5168 or email email@example.com
To effectively commercialize SDSM&T technologies in to the market so as to generate benefits for the University, the community and the general public.
What We Do
- Invention Disclosure Facilitation - We work with researchers and faculty to provide advice about potential intellectual property issues during research activities and to assist in the invention reporting process.
- Patenting and Protection - We provide guidance in planning an effective patent, copyright, or trademark strategy and handle all implementation details during the protection stage.
- Start-up Assistance - We provide proactive assistance in analyzing potential opportunities to form a start-up based upon SDSM&T technology and encourage this interaction during the early invention reporting process.
- Commercialization of Technology - We assist in technical and market assessments and actively market SDSM&T technologies to industry partners. We create non-disclosure , material transfer, collaboration and license agreements with these industry partners to effectively get our technology into commercial use.
- IP Support - We provide advice on policies & procedures regarding matters of intellectual property.
Why It's Important
- Commercialization efforts often lead to expanded university research opportunities.
- Activities lead to valuable educational experiences for students which augment classroom teachings.
- Technology commercialization creates job opportunities for graduates, and positive economic development for the community, the state and the general public.