Friction Stir Welding
What is Friction Stir Welding
Friction stir welding is a completely solid-state welding process that relies on local forging and extrusion created by a rotating pin tool.
Advantages of Friction Stir Welding
- No melting of materials
- Low heat input into substrate –> Minimal degradation and/or distortion
- Very high joint strengths possible -> Typically 70-90% joint efficiency
- Full penetration joints in a single pass -> Thicknesses from 0.020 in. to 3 in.
- Highly dissimilar materials can be joined
- Virtually all metals and many plastics can be joined