Standard Student Checklist - Spring, 2016
Important steps to enrollment for Spring, 2016 Students
download a printed version of this information (pdf)]
- Available beginning October 14, 2015
- Residence Halls open for the Spring Semester on Saturday, January 10, 2016 (12 noon)
- New student check-in for residence halls: 12-4 pm
- Contact Residence Life: (605) 394-2348,
- Residential Students: Complete the Online Fire Safety Training:
- More information will be available here after July 1 and on the Interactive Checklist.
- Residential students must complete and pass this exam before moving into their housing assignment.
- Complete Title IX Sexual Assault Education Program. More information will be available here after December 1; information will also be available on the Interactive Checklist.
- File your 2016-2017
Free Application for Financial Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible. We award our limited funded programs (SEOG and Work-Study) on a first come, first served basis until program funding runs out. All other Federal Aid programs (Pell Grant, Direct Student Loan, Graduate PLUS Loan and Parent PLUS Loan) are not limited in funding and are awarded regardless of when a student files their FAFSA.
- Make arrangements for
COMPASS placement testing (or accept your placement) and begin the course registration process (also available at Orientation as well as other locations and dates by appointment). Contact the Registrar and Academic Services Office (RAS): (605) 394-2400.
- Contact the Registrar and Academic Services Office to register for courses.
- Send your final official high school (with graduation date) and/or college transcripts to:
- Office of Admissions
501 East Saint Joseph Street
Rapid City, SD 57701
- Advanced Credit: Submit AP and/or CLEP scores (if applicable).
- Submit proof of immunization.
- Save your spot at Orientation
- International students - Orientation Thursday, January 7, 2015, 9:00 am to 3:00 pm, and Friday, January 8, 9:00 am to Noon - Bump Room, Surbeck Center.
- Veterans' Orientation, January 7, 2016 (10:00 am - 12:00 pm - Veterans Resource Center, Surbeck Center):
Click here to register online today.
- Transfer/Re-admitted/Non-traditional Orientation, Sunday, January 11 (12:00-3:00 pm - EEP 252 & 254):
Click here to register online today.
- Spring 2016 New Student Orientation - Sunday, January 11: Click here to register online today.
- Contact (605) 394-2336, email@example.com
Tablet PC Information
- Tablet PCs are distributed through the listed orientation programs. Be sure to sign up for and attend any of the listed orientations in order to get your Tablet PC.
- For answers to your questions about the Tablet PC program, contact Brad O'Brien: (605) 394-2215, Bradley.Obrien@sdsmt.edu
- Online payment may be made via
WebAdvisor using SDePay
- Get more with SDepay - view/print your eBill; sign up for a payment plan; pay your bill using a credit or debit card, Echeck or your payment plan.
- Payments may also be made at the Student Accounts and Cashiers Office in the Surbeck Center, if you pay with cash or check. (Sorry, no credit cards accepted in the Cashier's Office.)
- Register for a parking permit.
- Textbooks and Course Materials
- Course materials will be available for purchase online from the Rocker Shop (Mines bookstore), online beginning December 29, 2015. In-store availability will be early January, 2016. Online payment options include all major credit cards as well as the EZ Short-Term Bookstore Loan. EZ Loan payment is due by the same date as all other university billings. Most students are eligible for the EZ Loan payment option and it is automatically made available to them to use if they wish.
- The Rocker Shop (Mines bookstore) offers the best combination of convenience, price, selection, and service to students for their course material needs.
- For further information about course materials, payment options, and other services, please call the Rocker Shop at (605) 394-2374 or visit the store website at
- Complete Direct Sub/Unsub and/or Perkins
Entrance Loan Counseling (if applicable).
- FERPA Privacy Act
- No account information can be given to non-students unless the “Release of Information” authorization form, account information section has been signed.
FERPA Information Release Form
- Move into your
residence hall. Date: Saturday, January 9 (noon to 5pm).
- Spring semester classes begin Monday, January 11, 2016.
- Pay your tuition and fees or make arrangements by 4 pm on January 20, 2016.
- Contact the ADA Coordinator (if applicable)
- Contact the Office of Multicultural Affairs (if applicable)
- If you are a veteran, participate in Veterans' Orientation:
- Participate in International Student Orientation:
Ivanhoe International Center if you have questions: