Chemical Use Procedure

As per SDSMT policy VII-03 All laboratory chemicals, laboratory instruments containing chemicals, biological materials, and radioactive materials will be obtained/purchased through the campus chemical storeroom unless prior approval is obtained from the storeroom. Chemical inventories are required of all areas containing chemicals to ensure compliance with Federal, State, and Local requirements. The chemical inventory database provides these inventories for laboratory chemicals. A chemical inventory shall be maintained and provided upon request for non-laboratory areas (i.e., shop chemicals, custodial chemicals, etc.).
This policy also defines lab and shop chemical as: 

  • Lab Chemical – Chemicals used in academic and research projects that do not fit the definitions of a shop chemical or custodial chemical
  • Shop Chemical – Non-laboratory grade chemicals purchased from hardware distributors (i.e., Ace Hardware, McMaster-Carr, etc.).

To comply with policy VII-03, CAMP has the following procedure for the purchase, inventory, and use of shop chemicals.

  • All chemicals used in the CAT lab must have the SDS approved/reviewed by Dr. Koontz before use or storage in the CAT lab
  • All chemical unless otherwise noted must have an approved use specific procedure (SOP) on file in the CAT lab. 
    • This procedure shall include location, personal protective equipment use, intended use, storage, spill instructions, the location of use, and any other useful information pertaining to the use of the chemical.  See the included template (CAMP Standard Operating Procedures for Shop Chemicals).  Once complete, please name the file: chemical name_CAMP_chemical_SOP.docx , send this file to Dr. Koontz for inclusion in the Chemical & Safety Procedures Book.
  • For general chemical and lab, procedures review the SDSMT Chemical hygiene and Lab safety manual. located under lab safety heading.

Specific Exemptions

Excluded chemicals from the specific procedure requirement are those that contain no signal word or the warning signal word in addition to only being an irritant or skin sensitizer (exclamation mark pictogram).  Also included in the process exclusion are chemicals with an NFPA Hazard ID: Health <=1, Flammability <=3, Reactivity <=1.  

Chemicals with the Danger signal word and are not included in the NFPA exemption will require a more extended evaluation period, including but not limited to multiple meetings discussing the specific need for such a chemical and consideration of less hazardous alternatives.  This chemical may also need to be approved by  the campus environmental health and safety manager for the university.  Allow at least 8 weeks for this approval process.

Excluded from specific procedure approval are the following:

  • motor fuels – used in vehicle engines
  • motor oils – used in vehicle engines
  • motor coolant – used in vehicle engines

Even if a chemical or process meets the specific procedure exemption or bulk exemption CAMP reserves the right to require a specific procedure for any chemical or mechanical process implemented by CAMP student projects.

Chemical Forms

University Chemical Storeroom

South Dakota Mines Policy Manual (section VII – explains lab and shop chemicals as well as chemical storage and disposal)

Chemical Hygiene and Lab Safety Manual

Donate Button