(from the CAMP Handbook)


Every year the teams are awarded a certain amount of money to help with expenses. Part of receiving the money is the responsibility of budgeting it to pay for the essentials of the project. Since there is a team bank account, there are a variety of ways a student can pay for essentials of the project. This handbook will cover the different options available for purchasing these necessary items.

Each team has two accounts given to them. The first is the Business Office Account, and the second is the Foundation account. Each has specific guidelines for appropriate and responsible usage, which is needed especially in team settings.

In the spring, the business office requires that all requisitions for the current fiscal year be processed early, usually by the end of March.  For this reason, we suggest that you use your funds in the following order:

1.       Business Office accounts (SOAP account):  This will be the major portion of your SOAP funds plus any monies your team may have been awarded from CAMP. These monies will not carry over from year to year. In the spring, the business office requires that all requisitions for the current fiscal year be processed early, usually by the end of March. (The fiscal year actually starts over in July of every year.) Use your SOAP award first before you use funds from Foundation accounts since you will “lose” that money if you don’t use it. How you spend your SOAP money each year depends on how much SOAP money you will be awarded the following year so use it wisely.

2.       Foundation funds:  Foundation accounts generally contain money that was either earned through fundraising, donations, or team sponsorships. This money does carry over from year to year. It is strongly suggested that each team budgets to have money left over in their Foundation account for the team the following year.

3.       Agency funds: Some teams have a state account that money was put into called Agency.  If a team raises money on campus through it is put into this account.  This does carry over from year to year, but under the same rules as your SOAP account.



The Business Office Account is the six digit account code. This account is the one that the school puts money into every fiscal year (July 1st).  

How your business office account works:

  • The money allotted in a business account is determined by the student senate. The money that the senate awards are from a campus account called SOAP.
  • Student organization must prepare a SOAP proposal presentation each year in order to receive state funding. Student organizations must submit a request with detailed budget forms to the student senate every fall semester. The senate awards this money based on need and smart money budgeting presented in the request and budget forms. The Student Activities and Leadership Center hosts various student organization and SOAP presentation workshops. For further information on SOAP presentations and student org workshops please go to http://www.hpcnet.org/studorghandbook/fininfo.
  • It is very important to have all of the money awarded from SOAP used up by the upcoming year because it does NOT carry over to the next fiscal year. It is assumed that if there is money left in the SOAP funds, that the teams do not need that much money the upcoming year. It is important that the teams take into account what they need and can use for the upcoming year and act responsibly with what they do have. Remember, the SOAP account is a campus wide account that many teams depend on, in and out of CAMP.

There are three ways to use the SOAP account. The first technique is called a purchase order (PO), the second is called a personal purchase, and last a CAMP credit card or purchasing card.



For the first order of business, the purchase order (PO) (binding contract w/ the company) requires the team to be in good standing with a specific supplier, online or offline. The supplier must also have a W-9 form completed before they can do a PO with the team. PO’s enables the supplier to charge that student’s team whatever the amount being spent without the student having to use their own money. Paper work will need to be filled out on the purchase, then the student will need to turn the paper work as soon as possible to CAMP staff.  We will help fill out requisition forms if the student provides sufficient information. No cash, credit cards, or checks are involved on the student’s part. Here is the process:

1.       Make sure that the company that the team is ordering from accepts purchase orders.

2.       If your team has not used the company before, check with the CAMP office to make sure that that company is in the state purchasing system.

3.       If that company is not in the state purchasing system, they must fill out a W-9 form and return it to the CAMP office so that they can be entered into the purchasing system. A blank W-9 form can be found on the CAMP website http://camp-sdmines.com/index.php/forms and can be emailed or faxed to that company.

4.       A Purchase Order Request form will need to be filled out on the purchase, then the student will need to submit the Purchase Order Request form as soon as possible to the CAMP office. This form can be found on CAMP’s website Forms page.

5.       After the Purchase order request has been submitted to the CAMP office it will then get entered into the purchasing system.

6.       Once items have been received, the team must notify the CAMP office that all or part of their order has been received and turn in any invoices that have been received. This allows the CAMP office to “receive in” that order so that the state will send a payment to the company.

7.       The company that receives the PO is also required to send an invoice to the state office in Brookings (this information is on the purchase order). So if a company tells you that they have not received payment after you have received your order and the CAMP office has “received in” the order - ask them if they have sent an invoice to the Brookings office address that is listed on the purchase order. If they are confused let the CAMP office know and we will work with them on getting their invoice to the right place.

If your order is more than $1000, you will need three formal quotes or a Sole Source Memo included with a PO Request Form. All of these forms can be found on CAMP’s website Forms page.


Under no circumstances will the school be billed for merchandise without a written pre-approved purchase order.  Even if the vendor says he doesn’t need a PO, the school does.  And remember, the PO cannot be dated later than the invoice.  It is a guarantee that the school WILL catch it every time!



The CAMP credit card should be used as a last resort or for online companies that do not accept POs. 

Before using the card each time:

1.       Always ask to use the card, do not share freely.

2.       Purchases cannot be over $1000 unless we work through the business office and set it up beforehand. Competition registration are an example.

3.       Items must always be sent to 501 Easy Saint Joseph Street, RC, SD 57701

4.       Items purchased cannot be travel related or food items.

5.       Items purchased can only come from your SOAP or agency account, not foundation.  Make sure you have money in your account before you use the card. If you have overdrawn your account, you will be responsible for finding funds to cover that amount when the credit card bill comes out.

6.       Do not charge tax.  Give the company our tax exempt information. You can find this form on the CAMP website under forms.

7.       You must send the receipt to CAMP staff as soon as you order your item so that we do not have to track this down.  You will be asked to forfeit credit card privileges if this occurs.

8.       You must show product description and proof of payment on your receipt, not just a confirmation of order.

9.       Remember this is your responsibility.  If you are charged tax, have insufficient funds or information on the receipt it is up to you to call the company back or make arrangements to remedy the situation.



A formal quote is a summary done on a specific vendor and their product. They must include the following:

  • unit price
  • extended price
  • delivery time
  • terms (including how long the pricing is valid)
  • date
  • company name
  • why this product from this company
  • name and phone number of the person providing the quote.

*The Formal Quote form can be found on the CAMP website Forms page. 

It is important to evaluate three different vendors for the same product. This is necessary for price and quality check among a group of vendors. Fortunately, it also helps if one vendor does not follow through, and then there are immediate backups. Web pages printed as a quotation from a vendor will not be accepted unless the vendor has established a mechanism to provide formal quotations through a website, and all the required information is included.  Catalog pages are not acceptable as quotations.



If a student cannot find more than one vendor who sells a specific product needed for competition, the student can fill out a PO with a formal quote on the company. There must be sufficient enough information to prove that the one company is the only company that carries the needed product. The CAMP office will then fill out a Sole Source Memo form, which is the official document for a large-order PO Request Form. The student is not responsible for submitting the Sole Source Memo to the business office; however, it is very helpful to have someone from the team fill out most of the form in order to provide the necessary information.



For the second order of business, a personal purchase is when the student charges the product on their private bank account, using cash, credit card, or checks. If you chose to pay for an item with your personal credit card or cash, a Check Request form needs to be filled out with a receipt attached. More information about the Check Request Form is listed below. 

In order for a check to be issued to the student, the student must have a completed W-9 form on file with the business office. W-9 forms can be picked up in the CAMP office or the Business Office. Separate Check Request forms are used by the business office and the Foundation. Both forms can be found at CAMP’s website. http://camp-sdmines.com/index.php/forms. 

Again, students should not pay for items over $100 out of pocket. If a purchase is going to be greater than $100 students should be using a Purchase Order. 

The business office requests receipts and invoices be submitted in a specific way along with the Check Request forms. 

Items that must be included on the receipt or invoice include:

  1. Total amount of purchase.
  2. Proof of payment (i.e. cash, credit card, check).
  3. Proof that item was paid in full. (credit card receipt, bank statement, invoice with zero balance)
  4. Name and signature of person requesting reimbursement.
  5. Items that were purchased.
  6. No tax can be allowed
  7. Authorizing signature (will be provided by Kim when receipt is submitted) 

Petty Cash

If the student chooses to pay in cash, the student can be immediately reimbursed for approved cash purchases up to $50 per day per vendor per account. This method is called Petty Cash. Bring a receipt, signed by an advisor, along with the proper account information, to the CAMP office. Because several people may be purchasing using the same account and/or the same vendor on any single day, Petty Cash purchasing should be done only when absolutely necessary.  In addition it costs the team 6% sales tax which they would not have to pay if using the school’s purchasing system.



The Foundation is a five digit number. Much like the Business Office Account (BOA), students can do a purchase order or a requisition through the foundation office. The main difference between the BOA and the Foundation is that the money in Foundation transfers to the next fiscal year and the money is earned by the individual teams through fundraising or from alumni donations. It is highly recommended to use the Foundation account once the BOA/SOAP money runs out since the BOA/SOUP money cannot be transferred to the next fiscal year.

If there is a Foundation expense, we need an invoice (bill) or Reimbursement Form. It is important to note that food and clothing typically has to come out of Foundation account. On rare occasions it can be charged to SOAP account.



If the team decides to have more than the two accounts given to them, then they are responsible for understanding the requirements and responsibilities of using that account.

Any shirts including their printing must be approved by Marketing and Communications. Be sure to check with them before you make an order. Look at http://www.sdsmt.edu/Campus-Services/Marketing-and-Communications/ for branding guidelines and a job request work order.

Donate Button