Job Opportunities and Co-ops

All Mines students are encouraged to have relevant work or research experience prior to graduation. South Dakota Mines students have many opportunities to apply their education to "real world" work experiences through cooperative education (co-ops), internships, and undergraduate research opportunities. Civil and Environmental Engineering students are employed by a wide variety of industry and government agencies. Students may earn 1-3 hours of department approved elective credit for a co-op, internship or research experience. Students registered for co-op courses keep their full-time student status during the semester they are on co-op. Co-ops may be 6-8 months in duration (semester + summer). Internships are usually for the summer or part-time during the school year. Please note that these terms are used interchangeably by employers. Check with your advisor to understand the implications of missing a semester of coursework on your projected graduation date.  For more information, review the CEE Co-op Guidelines document.

On average 75% of South Dakota Mines graduates have relevant
work experience upon graduation

The average co-op/intern salary for 2015-16 was $17.16/hr
*Some employers also provide housing allowances, bonuses, and
relocation expenses that are not reflected above.

For questions regarding co-op opportunities within the Civil Engineering department.

Dr. James Stone                        
Department Head and Professor
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
(605) 394-2443                        

Job Opportunities

Handshake has internship and job postings. These job opportunities are also identified in the monthly student newsletter and are available in binders in the CEE department office.

Opportunities for Undergraduate Students

The Civil and Environmental Engineering department currently has opportunities for federal work-study, undergraduate research and grading positions. For more information, please contact Arlene Lichtenecker at (605)394-2439.

Opportunities for Graduate Students

The Civil and Environmental Engineering department typically has graduate teaching and research assistantships available for MS and PhD Civil and Environmental Engineering students. Please contact:
Dr. James Stone
Department Head and Professor
(605) 394-2443