Distance Accreditation Group Charter

The distance education master’s programs in Construction Engineering and Management (CEM), Engineering Management (EM), and Mining Engineering (MEM) are offered by South Dakota Mines, which holds regional accreditation by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC), a commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA). More Information  

Distance Accreditation Assessment Plan

The Dean of Graduate Education and the Distance Education Advisory Committee (DEAC) work together to ensure ongoing assessment and evaluation of the quality of instruction, program delivery, and student support.   |   Assessment

Licensed Professional Engineer

Many engineers who graduate from 4-year undergraduate programs accredited by ABET, Inc. pursue licensure as a Professional Engineer. While licensure may not be required for your occupation or employment, it has many advantages (see for more information).

In the United States, the registration or licensing of professional engineers is governed by the individual states. Each registration or license is valid only in the state where it is granted.  Your graduate degree in engineering from South Dakota Mines may count toward "experience" requirements for professional licensure in your state, but requirements vary greatly by state, so be sure to research requirements for your state and any state in which you plan to work as a professionally licensed engineer. For details on licensure in each state, see