Resources for Current Students:

Construction Engineering and Management MS

The distance-delivered construction engineering and management MS program is offered through the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering.

Current students should use Self-Service Banner to register for classes. (Learn more about using Self-Service Banner)

--Program Coordinator: (605) 394-2704 or

Program Requirements

Requirements for this non-thesis degree include:
  • A minimum of 33 credits of which no more than 3 credits may be CEM/CEE 691 or 791.
  • A minimum of 18 credits of 600-level or above in Construction Engineering and Management (CEM) courses must be completed.
  • A thesis, project paper, or final examination is not required; this is a course work only degree.
  • No undergraduate courses (400-level and below) will count toward graduation.
  • Any elective courses not shown on the list of approved courses must be pre-approved by the program coordinator. This may be accomplished by including the course on your program of study submitted during the first semester of study.
  • A maximum of 12 semester hours of credit may be transferred into the candidate‘s program from another regionally accredited institution.
  • Students admitted to the “accelerated” program may apply up to 9 credits of 500/600 level coursework taken as an undergraduate to degree requirements.

The probation policy outlined in this catalog applies to all credits taken. Additional information on courses and core requirements may be found in the course information section. Program and graduate education requirements may be found in the university catalog (


(Click on the course number for course Information)  

Even Yrs
Odd Yrs
Odd Yrs
Odd Years
Even Yrs
Even Yrs
CM 5601  


CEM 608   X  


CEM 610  

CEM 619  


CEM 665   X2  


CEM 710  

CEM 715   X2  


CEM 788   X   X   X   X   X   X  
CP 697   X   X   X   X   X   X  

1SDSU Course
2Block scheduled course, typically 6-8 weeks in duration


How do I register for courses?
Students register for online courses through an online system called Self-Service Banner. Click on the Self-Service Banner link on the bottom of the page under the academics column. Follow the link to “what’s my user name and password?” to set up your Self-Service Banner account. For assistance, please contact Registrar/Enrollment Management Services directly at (605) 394-2400 or Contact your program coordinator only if you have difficulty obtaining this information from Enrollment Management. Additional information and a link to Self-Service Banner may be found at the Self-Service Banner information.

How do I find course materials, receive lectures and supplementary materials?
All CEM courses are accessed through the course management system, D2L. Course access typically commences the first day of each semester.

How do I contact my professors?
All South Dakota Mines faculty members have an assigned email and phone number. Faculty will typically list their contact preference on their syllabus.

How do I know if I am registered for an onsite or distance section?
All CEM courses are listed as M840T. This delivery model enables both onsite and distance students to work together in a common virtual classroom.

How do I complete course examinations?
Distance faculty members use a variety of testing processes to ensure that students are authorized to take the exam and that the exam process is conducted in the same manner as it is for onsite students. Examination procedures include online exams and hard copy exams through the use of proctors. The examination procedure may vary slightly from program to program; however, all faculty members provide instructions for the examination process on the course syllabus.
The Proctor Approval Process
Many South Dakota Mines distance course instructors require proctored exams. In these cases, the student is responsible for securing an appropriate proctor. You must contact and secure a suitable proctor through the proctor approval form (below). You are responsible for any costs involved. Proctors may include:

  • Education testing service
  • Full-time faculty member of an accredited institution
  • Professional educator (superintendent or principal)
  • Human Resource professional
  • Elementary or high school teacher NOTE: You may not request a fellow teacher for proctoring
  • Community librarian
  • Military Officer
  • Human Resource professional
  • Other (only with program coordinator's permission)

Unsuitable proctors include co-workers, friends, family members, relatives, or neighbors. Steps for aligning proctors and testing follow.

  1. Contact and secure a suitable proctor.
  2. Complete the proctor approval form and submit to the appropriate program coordinator for approval.
  3. The program coordinator will notify the appropriate faculty and staff of proctor information.
  4. Exams will be sent directly to the proctor, along with specific exam instructions, in accordance with the examination procedure outlined in the course syllabus.

In most cases, once approved, proctors may be used throughout the program of study. Students must submit a second proctor approval form if a change of proctor is desired or required.

Do I need to complete a Program of Study?
Yes, it is a requirement set forth by the University and is required for all graduate programs. We recommend you file an initial program of study in the first week of the first class with the program coordinator. We also recommend you send a final revised program of study before the semester when you plan to graduate. Be sure to contact your program coordinator prior to completing the final program of study (POS).

Who is my major lecturer, advisor, program coordinator?
In the CEM program, Heidi Wagner serves as major lecturer, advisor, and program coordinator for all prospective and enrolled students.

What other program requirements should I be aware of?
Continuing registration – you must be registered for two credits in the semester in which you plan to graduate. Do not register for a project or thesis defense unless you are certain you can finish by the end of the semester.
Leave of absence – this goes with continuing registration. If you need to take a semester off, you need to apply for a leave of absence. This is not an onerous task, but you must complete a form so that the graduate office can track continuing enrollment.

The probation policy outlined in this catalog applies to all credits taken. Additional information on courses and core requirements may be found in the course information section. Program and graduate education requirements may be found in the university catalog (