Resources for Current Students:

Engineering Management MS

The master of science degree in engineering management (MSEM) is designed to provide a program of advanced study in technically oriented disciplines for candidates anticipating a managerial career.  This program is offered through the Department of Industrial Engineering.

Current students should use Self-Service Banner to register for classes. (Learn more about using Self-Service Banner)

If you have questions about the program that aren't answered here, contact Dr. Frank Matejcik, ENGM Program Coordinator, (605) 394-6066 or 

Program Requirements

Requirements for the degree include the completion of a minimum of 24 credits of coursework and 6 credits of research for the thesis option (only available for full time students), or 32 credits of coursework for the non-thesis option.

A cumulative GPA of 3.0 must be obtained by the end of the program of study and other general and master‘s level grade requirements must be maintained as specified in the South Dakota Mines academic catalog. The probation policy outlined in the catalog applies to all credits taken.

In addition, students must complete a minimum for 3 credits in each of 4 core areas: business/finance, management, quantitative methods, and operations management. All students must submit a final committee approved program of study in their last semester prior to graduation. Additional information on courses and core requirements may be found in the course information section. Program and graduate education requirements may be found in the academic catalog.

Frank MatejcikFrank Matejcik, PhD, ENGM Program Coordinator
Course Site Login:
Office Phone: 605-394-6066

Dean JensenDean Jensen, PhD
Personnel Page
Course Site:
Office Phone: 605-394-1278

Adam PiperAdam Piper, PhD
Personnel Page
Course Site Login:
Office Phone: 605-394-1278

Course Information

ENGM courses are offered in a hybrid mode meaning that we serve both onsite students and distance students simultaneously. Syllabus, course objectives, planned course schedule, and all course materials are posted to a course site maintained by each faculty member. Videos of the lecture are captured via DVD and sent to the student. In addition, most courses are streamed and posted to a streaming site. In addition, ENGM will be using Canvas course management systems for all courses beginning in the Fall 2013. Course sites may be found on the faculty page. Core areas and planned course rotations can be found on this spreadsheet.


How do I register for courses?
Students register for online courses through an online system called Self-Service Banner. Click on the Self-Service Banner link on the bottom of the page under the academics column. Follow the link to “what’s my user name and password?” to set up your Self-Service Banner account. For assistance, please contact Registrar/Enrollment Management Services directly at (605) 394-2400 or Contact your program coordinator only if you have difficulty obtaining this information from Enrollment Management. Additional information and a link to Self-Service Banner may be found at the Self-Service Banner information.

How do I find course materials?
All faculty members that teach online courses are trained and maintain a course web site. Faculty information and course sites for faculty members teaching in the engineering management program may be found under the faculty page.

How do I contact my professors?
All South Dakota Mines faculty members have an assigned email for use with contacting students. This information is on the faculty page as well as on their syllabus which is maintained on the course site. While many faculty members utilize the messaging system in a course management systems, others find it limiting. For example, you cannot respond to a student request without logging into D2L and locating the appropriate email. This can be done directly through regular campus email. Faculty will list their preference for contacting faculty on their syllabus.

How do I forward my email?
All students are assigned a campus email which is "" The campus will use this email for all official campus correspondence. Students are encouraged to check this email on a regular basis. To login to your Mines email account go to URL: . For the login, your username is: firstname.lastname . The system will add automatically. Your default password is your birthday + 7 digit id number mmddyyyy1234567. Find out more about student email at the ITS 'How Do I' page.

Alternatively, all student email accounts are set up through google email and you can forward your email to another account that you use. To forward official correspondence from your Mines email account to another email account, go to Once you log in to this site, you will see a box with a gear in it. This is settings link. Click on it, then click on settings in the drop down menu. Click on the Forwarding and POP/IMAP link at the top and then click on the Add a Forwarding Address link.

How do I know if I should register for onsite or distance sections?
Onsite sections are M021 and distance sections are listed as M081. Students need to be aware of cost differences between onsite and distance sections as well as implications for VISA status and/or teaching assistantships. Be sure to register for the proper section. DVDs are mailed automatically if you are in a distance section. No DVDs will be mailed if you are in an onsite section. MAKE SURE WE HAVE YOUR CURRENT MAILING ADDRESS for DVDs.

How do I receive lectures and supplementary materials?
All professional development master’s programs utilize a hybrid or blended delivery mode for distance. Faculty members provide instruction to both on site and distance learners through a combination of media and course interactions. All lectures are captured and made available to distance learners either through a streaming site or through DVD. Some courses may be captured and streamed automatically and these are posted by ITS to a streaming site. Since video streamed quality is necessarily reduced and, depending on computer/browser configuration is not always visible to distance learners, faculty may elect to provide DVDs as an alternative to streamed videos. Using both methods allows us to provide maximum access at the highest quality possible. Location of video stream or gaining access to DVD material, if available, is provided on the faculty member’s course syllabus.

How do I complete course examinations?
Distance faculty members utilize a variety of testing processes to ensure that students are authorized to take the exam and that the exam process is conducted in the same manner as it is for onsite students. Examination procedures include online exams and hard copy exams through the use of proctors. The examination procedure may vary slightly from program to program; however, all faculty members provide instructions for the examination process on the course syllabus.

The Proctor Approval Process
Many South Dakota Mines distance course instructors require proctored exams. In these cases, the student is responsible for securing an appropriate proctor. You must contact and secure a suitable proctor through the proctor approval form (below). You are responsible for any costs involved. Proctors may include:

  • Education testing service
  • Full-time faculty member of an accredited institution
  • Professional educator (superintendent or principal)
  • Human Resource professional
  • Elementary or high school teacher NOTE: You may not request a fellow teacher for proctoring
  • Community librarian
  • Military Officer
  • Human Resource professional
  • Other (only with program coordinator's permission)

Unsuitable proctors include co-workers, friends, family members, relatives, or neighbors. Steps for aligning proctors and testing follow.

  1. Contact and secure a suitable proctor.
  2. Complete the proctor approval form and submit to the appropriate program coordinator for approval.
  3. The program coordinator will notify the appropriate faculty and staff of proctor information.
  4. Exams will be sent directly to the proctor, along with specific exam instructions, in accordance with the examination procedure outlined in the course syllabus.
  5. In most cases, once approved, proctors may be used throughout the program of study. Students must submit a second proctor approval form if a change of proctor is desired or required.

What do I do about incompletes?
The ENGM faculty members are accustomed to students deployed overseas or who must continually balance family and professional obligations with continuing education. Because of hybrid delivery, ENGM distance learners necessarily operate one week behind onsite students. Nevertheless, students should make every attempt to complete assignments, examinations, and other course requirements within the designated timelines on the schedule. Regental requirements dictate that grades of incomplete may remain on the student’s transcript indefinitely. Program requirements dictate that all incompletes should be removed by the start of the following semester. Incompletes not removed in a timely fashion will require the student to retake the course.

Do I need to complete a Program of Study?
Yes, it is a requirement set forth by the Committee of Graduate Education and is required for all graduate programs. We recommend you file an initial program of study be sent in the first week of the first class. The industrial engineering department secretary can send you an initial template. We recommend you send a final program of study in the final semester you plan to graduate. Be sure to contact your major professor prior to completing the final program of study (POS).

Who is my major professor?
Your major professor advises on courses, continuing registration, committee assignments, and, if applicable, project or thesis requirements. Initially, you are assigned to the program coordinator but you may switch at any time and select one of the program faculty listed on the faculty page provided the faculty member is of the Assistant, Associate, or Professorial rank. If you are a full time student doing a thesis you should make this switch as soon as possible. If you are completing a project as part of your course work you should do this once a project and a major professor are selected.

What other program requirements should I be aware of?  

  • Continuing registration – you must be registered for two credits in the semester in which you plan to graduate. Do not register for a project or thesis defense unless you are certain you can finish by the end of the semester.
  • Leave of absence – If you need to take a semester off, you need to apply for a leave of absence. This is not an onerous task, but you must complete a form so that the graduate office can track continuing enrollment.
  • Committee requirements – each program of study must be approved by a minimum of three committee members. Your major professor must be in the ENGM program and must be an Assistant, Associate, or full Professor. A second committee member may be from another department but in most cases will also be in the ENGM department. The graduate representative may not be in the ENGM department. The selection is up to you. Alternatively, we are willing to help find a graduate representative for distance learners if requested.