Resources for Current Students:

Mining Engineering Program

The Master of Science in Mining Engineering is designed to provide a program of advanced study in either management-oriented or technically-oriented disciplines for candidates planning a career in the mining, mine management or underground construction field.  This program is offered through the Department of Mining Engineering and Management.

Current students should use Self-Service Banner to register for classes.  (Learn more about using Self-Service Banner)

If you have questions about the program that aren't answered here, contact Dr. PT Tukkaraja, Graduate Program Coordinator of the Mining and Engineering Management Department:  (605) 394-1267 or

Program Requirements

The thirty-two credit hour non-thesis MS MinE degree consists of a program of graduate work culminating in the preparation, presentation and defense of a final project report. The interdisciplinary curriculum includes 12 core credits (4 courses) that are required by all the students, 9 credit hours of specialization courses and 9 credit hours of elective courses approved by the student’s major advisor. Additionally, the final project and report, normally completed in the student’s last semester, is 2 credit hours.

The requirements for the MS MinE degree are as follows:

  1. A program of at least 32 credits of course work (including the 2 credit hours for the final project) which must include as required core courses: MEM 550—rock Slope Engineering OR MEM 525—Advanced Rock Mechanics and MEM 510—Advanced Mineral Economics for Managers, MEM 580—Advanced Explosives and Blasting and MEM 610—Topics in Mineral Economics, Sustainability and Mine Regulation.
  2. At least 18 credit hours of approved graduate-level coursework (500 level courses and above).
  3. Meeting or exceeding prescribed academic standards.
  4. Preparation, presentation and successfully defending the required final project, which would normally be a practical project approved by the student’s major advisor.
  5. Complying with all rules and regulations of the graduate office, which are presented elsewhere.

Ivy AllardIvy Allard, PhD
Phone: (605) 394-2344
Office: MI 235 / MINE
Personnel Page

Kelli McCormickKelli A McCormick, PhD
Phone: (605) 394-1971
Office: MINE / MI 235A
Personnel Page  

Lance RobertsLance Roberts, PhD,
Department Head and Professor
Phone: (605) 394-1973
Office: MI 235B
Personnel Page  

Purushotham TukkarajaPurushotham Tukkaraja, PhD,
Assistant Professor/Graduate Program Coordinator                                                                                          
Phone: (605) 394-1267
Office: MINE / MI 229
Personnel Page  

Course Information

Required Core Courses: MEM 550 or MEM 525 and MEM 510, MEM 580, MEM 610.

Recommended Elective Courses: All 500- and 600-level courses offered through the Mining Engineering and Management department (MEM courses) are acceptable.

Recommended out-of-department 400*, 500, and 600 level courses offered through Geology, Geological Engineering, Engineering Management, Industrial Engineering, Construction Engineering and Management, and Civil & Environmental Engineering are acceptable. (NOTE: Not all of the out-of-the department recommended courses are taught via distance delivery methods)

Students may use approved graduate-level transfer courses from another institution for up to 6 credit hours of elective credit, provided they are included in the approved Program of Study.

Course Schedule (Tentative)

Even Yrs
Odd Yrs
Odd Yrs
Odd Years
Even Yrs
Even Yrs
Core Courses  
MEM 550

MEM 525

MEM 510

MEM 580

MEM 610

MEM Elective Courses  
MEM 515

MEM 520

MEM 530

MEM 533/533L

MEM 535

MEM 540

MEM 545


MEM 555


MEM 691

MEM 692

Research Project  
MEM 788 X   X   X   X   X   X  
Recommended out-of-department courses  
GEOE 475/475L*


GEOE 615

GEOE 664/664L

GEOL 516/516L

ENGM 661 X  

ENGM 620 X  

ENGM 631 X  

ENGM 625

ENGM 742

IENG 452*


IENG 461*


IENG 566

CM 547

CEM 608 X  

CEM 665 X  

CEM 610

CEM 710

CEE 548

CEE 574

CEE 634

CEE 743

CEE 745

CEE 746

CEE 747

*Acceptable 400-level class with permission of major advisor.


How do I register for courses?
Students register for online courses through an online system called Self-Service Banner. Click on the Self-Service Banner link on the bottom of the page under the academics column. Follow the link to “what’s my user name and password?” to set up your Self-Service Banner account. For assistance, please contact Registrar/Enrollment Management Services directly at (605) 394-2400 or Contact your program coordinator only if you have difficulty obtaining this information from Enrollment Management. Additional information and a link to Self-Service Banner may be found at the Self-Service Banner information.

How do I find course materials?
Contact the course instructor for course materials.

How do I contact my professors?
All South Dakota Mines faculty members have an assigned email for use with contacting students. This information is on the faculty page of the department website.

How do I forward my email?
All students are assigned a campus email which is "" The campus will use this email for all official campus correspondence. Students are encouraged to check this email on a regular basis. To login to your mines email account go to URL: . For the login, your username is: firstname.lastname . The system will add automatically. Your default password is your birthday + 7 digit id number mmddyyyy1234567. Find out more about student email at the ITS 'How Do I' page.

Alternatively, all student email accounts are set up through google email and you can forward your email to another account that you use. To forward official correspondence from your Mines email account to another email account, go to Once you log in to this site, you will see a box with a gear in it. This is settings link. Click on it, then click on settings in the drop down menu. Click on the Forwarding and POP/IMAP link at the top and then click on the Add a Forwarding Address link.

How do I receive lectures and supplementary materials?
Contact the course instructor.

How do I complete course examinations?
The examination procedure may vary slightly from program to program; however, all faculty members provide instructions for the examination process on the course syllabus.

The Proctor Approval Process
Many South Dakota Mines distance course instructors require proctored exams. In these cases, the student is responsible for securing an appropriate proctor. You must contact and secure a suitable proctor through the proctor approval form (below). You are responsible for any costs involved. Proctors may include:

  • Education testing service
  • Full-time faculty member of an accredited institution
  • Professional educator (superintendent or principal)
  • Human Resource professional
  • Elementary or high school teacher NOTE: You may not request a fellow teacher for proctoring
  • Community librarian
  • Military Officer
  • Human Resource professional
  • Other (only with program coordinator's permission)

Unsuitable proctors include co-workers, friends, family members, relatives, or neighbors. Steps for aligning proctors and testing follow.

  1. Contact and secure a suitable proctor.
  2. Complete the proctor approval form and submit to the appropriate program coordinator for approval.
  3. The program coordinator will notify the appropriate faculty and staff of proctor information.
  4. Exams will be sent directly to the proctor, along with specific exam instructions, in accordance with the examination procedure outlined in the course syllabus.
  5. In most cases, once approved, proctors may be used throughout the program of study. Students must submit a second proctor approval form if a change of proctor is desired or required.

What do I do about incompletes?
The MEM faculty members are accustomed to students deployed overseas or who must continually balance family and professional obligations with continuing education. Because of hybrid delivery, MEM distance learners necessarily operate one week behind onsite students. Nevertheless, students should make every attempt to complete assignments, examinations, and other course requirements within the designated timelines on the schedule. Regental requirements dictate that grades of incomplete may remain on the student’s transcript indefinitely. Program requirements dictate that all incompletes should be removed by the start of the following semester. Incompletes not removed in a timely fashion will require the student to retake the course.

Do I need to complete a Program of Study?
Yes, it is a requirement set forth by the Committee of Graduate Education and is required for all graduate programs. We recommend you file an initial program of study be sent in the first week of the first class. The mining engineering department secretary can send you an initial template. We recommend you send a final program of study in the final semester you plan to graduate. Be sure to contact your major professor prior to completing the final program of study (POS).

Who is my major professor?
Your major professor advises on courses, continuing registration, committee assignments, and, project requirements. Initially, you are assigned to the program coordinator but you may switch at any time and select one of the program faculty listed on the faculty page provided the faculty member is of the Assistant, Associate, or Professorial rank.

What other program requirements should I be aware of?  

  • Continuing registration – you must be registered for two credits in the semester in which you plan to graduate. Do not register for a project unless you are certain you can finish by the end of the semester.
  • Leave of absence – If you need to take a semester off, you need to apply for a leave of absence. This is not an onerous task, but you must complete a form so that the graduate office can track continuing enrollment.
  • Committee requirements – each program of study must be approved by a minimum of three committee members. Your major professor must be in the MEM program and must be an Assistant, Associate, or full Professor. A second committee member may be from another department but in most cases will also be in the MEM department. The graduate representative may not be in the MEM department. The selection is up to you. Alternatively, we are willing to help find a graduate representative for distance learners if requested.