Ready to Graduate

Graduation from South Dakota Mines is not an automatic process. Students must apply to graduate no later than the application deadline. Students must satisfy all degree requirements and University holds to receive a diploma. All students must be actively enrolled in the semester they wish to graduate.

Graduation Process

1. Review your Degree Audit on Self-Service Banner. Students need to make sure that they will have satisfied all degree requirements by the conferral date. Students must speak with their advisor if they have any questions related to their degree audit and/or degree requirements.

(Note: The Academic Departments will present all final degree audits and checklists to the Office of the Registrar to confirm degree completion)

2. Apply to Graduate via the Office of the Registrar's forms page here. Graduate applications must be received by the requisite deadline in the semester prior to the semester in which you wish to graduate. Please consult the University calendar or the academic calendar for application deadlines.  


Diplomas will be mailed to students approximately 8-9 weeks after each conferral date. Students with outstanding coursework may take longer to process.

All diplomas will be mailed to the diploma address you provide when you apply to graduate. To update your diploma address, please contact the Office of the Registrar. You must be in good financial standing with the University and have no holds on your account in order to receive your diploma.

The name of your major along with your degree level (associates, bachelor, and masters) will appear on your diploma. South Dakota Mines does not list certificates, minors or concentrations on diplomas. Those items will appear on your final transcript.

All graduates will also receive an E-Diploma once their degree award is posted by the Office of the Registrar. To learn more about how to access your E-Diploma and its benefits, click here

Diploma Name

The name listed on your diploma must reflect your name of record during the last term of attendance at South Dakota Mines. To change your name of record, including adding a middle name or a suffix, you must provide legal documentation in the form of a birth certificate, passport, marriage certificate, or a court document.

Students should note that accent and punctuation marks will not be printed on diplomas. You can verify how your name will be printed on your diploma based on how it appears in Banner within the link to your student profile.

Degree Verification

Usually, companies or government agencies are looking for official proof of graduation, and only in rare cases, involving foreign governments, is a diploma needed. An official transcript can be obtained for less cost and in less time.

Office of the Registrar

O'Harra Building, Room 201

Office Hours

Academic Year:
7:30 am to 4:30 pm
7:30 am to 4:00 pm
Phone: (605) 394-2400

Registrar's Office
Email the Registrar