Registering For Courses . . . and More

Self-Service Banner 

Register for courses, pay fees, drop/add, view your course schedule, and more - using our online tool: Self-Service Banner

Everything you need to know to get registered!

How To:

Obtain an ID card —

ID cards are provided during the semester registration period in the Student Accounts/Cashier's Office across from the Surbeck Center Information Desk.

Obtain your network login information —
Go to the ITS Help Desk in the lower level of the Library or go to the following URL: for resources and information.

Pay your tuition/fees —
On-line payment for tuition and fees can be made via Self-Service Banner from your home computer or from a campus computer lab. Cashiers will be available in the Student Accounts/Cashiers Office, across from the Surbeck Center Information Desk, from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm during the semester registration period for paper check payments or for answering on-line payment questions. (Photo ID required.) Failure to make financial arrangements by deadline may result in cancellation of your classes and/or a late payment fee.

Register for classes —
If you have not yet been accepted for admission/readmission, report to the Admissions Office in the O'Harra Building, Room 201. Please bring your immunization records with you.
If you are a new or continuing student, report to your mentor/advisor to discuss your course schedule. Once you have done this, you may then register online via Self-Service Banner.  If you need help registering, report to the Registrar's Office, in the O'Harra building.

Make a change with your registration of classes —
if you are a returning or transfer student - consult with your advisor and make the necessary changes to your class schedule online via Self-Service Banner.
If you are an incoming first-time freshman, you will need to see Diana O'Toole our registration officer, to make changes to your schedule.
To change tuition classification, report directly to Hallie Vigil in the Registrar's Office in the O'Harra Building.
To change or add a Dining Services contract, report to the Student Accounts/Cashier's Office in the Surbeck Center, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.
To change or add a Residence Hall room, report to Residence Life in the Surbeck Center, next to the Information Desk.

Complete Stafford and/or Perkins Entrance Loan Counseling —
Complete Stafford and/or Perkins Entrance Loan Counseling - All first time borrowers at SD Mine must complete the on-line loan counseling. If you have borrowed a Stafford and/or a Perkins loan at another university, contact the Financial Aid Office in the O’Harra Administration Building, room 208 or by calling toll free 877/877-6044, locally call 394-2274 or by email at for further instructions.
Online counseling is available at the SD Mines Financial Aid website:
Click on the link for Loan Counseling (Entrance & Exit)

Set up your "Mines" e-mail account —
All official SD Mines e-mail will be sent to your "Mines" account - it will NOT be forwarded by SD Mines to any other account, so you will need to get in the habit of checking this account regularly until you make the forward yourself from inside your Mines account. Faculty members will also use this account for class work. Your e-mail address will look like:
To login and set up your e-mail, use the following URL:

Know your student rights -
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, (FERPA), affords students certain rights, with respect to their education records. Find more details about FERPA.  

Office of the Registrar

O'Harra Building, Room 201

Office Hours

Academic Year:
7:30 am to 4:30 pm
7:30 am to 4:00 pm
Phone: (605) 394-2400
Fax: (605) 394-1268

Registrar's Office
Email the Registrar