Are you having trouble finding what you're looking for? Feel free to call the Ivanhoe International Center at (605) 394-6884 or come visit us; our office is located in the basement of the Surbeck center. You can also email us your questions at international@sdsmt.edu.

Academic and Cultural Differences

The Global Scholar Online Courses, developed by The Center for Global Education, gives students an introduction to opportunities and challenges while participating in study abroad programs.

These free ‘courses’  help students learn tips and techniques to prepare for their program, how to cope with challenges that may arise while they're abroad, how to make the most of their study abroad experience while they’re there, tips for dealing with issues that may arise after their return home, and advice on where they can go from here personally and in their career preparation.

Check out the material here: https://globalscholar.us/course_index.asp?course=P. Contact the Ivanhoe International Center at  international@sdsmt.edu to get registered.

Academic Differences

Academic systems in other countries can be quite different than in the US. Are you prepared?

In the US, student progress in a course is assessed (graded) on a regular basis through homework assignments, pop quizzes, research papers, attendance, class participation, and multiple tests, etc. over the course of the term. The student is assigned a final grade for the course based on a combination of these items, which is specified in the course syllabus. Individual grades are usually retrieved through some electronic means and are generally kept private.

In most European universities, class attendance is expected, but not always mandatory. You may be graded on only one or two items. There is usually a final exam that is comprehensive and possibly a research paper. The student is responsible for learning the material, which requires a great deal of self-discipline. Tests are short answer essay and essay. Multiple choice tests are uncommon. Grading scales will most likely be quite different than in the US as well. Grades may be posted publicly on a wall in the department.

Due to the grading differences, grades for the courses the student takes are usually not entered on the South Dakota Mines transcript. The courses appear as transfer credit with Pass/Fail, rather than the regular grading scale.

For More Information

about Study Abroad contacting the Ivanhoe International Center (located lower Surbeck Center)

Where SD Mines Students Travelled


. . . while you study abroad. Blog or post pictures to Flickr, and be sure to join our Study Abroad Facebook Group.

iconSM-Facebook 32px

Stay Up To Date

Ivanhoe International Center - Study Abroad Blog
International Blog Icon

Develop a Global Focus

South Dakota Mines offers a Global Engineering Minor and a Global Engineering Certificate. See our Minors and Certificates web pages for more details.