Health and Safety

Health and safety are a priority for your travels, learn more here.

First, check the State Department web site for travel warnings for any countries where you are planning to travel.

Health Insurance

(Must be logged into MinesLink to access these forms)

Health Insurance is required for study abroad (BOR Policy 3:14). Go to our Mineslink form above(login required) to begin the enrollment process and make arrangements with the Ivanhoe International Center.

Insurance Portal - Create an account and download the app after you receive your welcome email. The insurance portal is a great resource for you as you prepare to study abroad and while you are in your program. South Dakota Board of Regents policy number is 18 GLM N01060946. Please include spaces. 

The Health and Safety section of the Global Scholar online course is REQUIRED for anyone who is planning to participate in a study abroad experience. Please contact the Ivanhoe International Center at to register.

Emergency Planning Guide for Study Abroad

SAFETI (The Center for Global Education's Safety Abroad First-Educational Travel Information)

US Department of State: Assistance for US Students Abroad

US Department of Homeland Security: Customs and Border Protection

Alcohol Abroad

Emergency Contacts

CISI: Cultural Insurance Services International

SD Mines Emergency page

Ivanhoe International Center 

501 East Saint Joseph Street
Rapid City, SD 57701-3995
Telephone: (605) 394-6884
Fax: (605) 394-6883

For More Information

about Study Abroad contacting the Ivanhoe International Center (located lower Surbeck Center)


. . . while you study abroad. Blog or post pictures to Flickr, and be sure to join our Study Abroad Facebook Group.

iconSM-Facebook 32px

Stay Up To Date

Ivanhoe International Center - Study Abroad Blog
International Blog Icon

Develop a Global Focus

SD Mines offers a Global Engineering Minor and a Global Engineering Certificate.  See our Minors and Certificates web pages for more details.