Application Instructions


Your application is not complete until you also provide the following:

1. Official transcripts - please have them mailed to campus

HIGH SCHOOL TRANSCRIPT(S) — You need to submit transcripts showing completion of high school through your junior year. Can be submitted by...

  • Having transcript mailed by your high school to our admissions office
  • Having transcripts sent electronically from your high school through Parchment/Docufied

Remember to also have a final transcript sent to the School of Mines after graduation via one of the two ways above.

COLLEGE TRANSCRIPT(S) (if attended) — These need to be mailed directly from college records office to the School of Mines

  • If you are applying to a degree program, you must request official transcripts from all institutions you previously attended, excluding South Dakota Board of Regents institutions: Black Hills State University, Dakota State University, Northern State University, South Dakota School of Mines and Technology, South Dakota State University, or University of South Dakota. Transcripts are considered official only if they are sent directly to the Office of Admissions or the Enrollment Services Center by the issuing institution. If you are currently enrolled at another institution, you may have the school send a partial official transcript(s) and be considered for provisional admission until the final official transcript(s) arrives.

2. $20 application fee

Please choose one of the following payment options
  • Payable online with credit or debit card after completing the online application
  • Send check payable to South Dakota School of Mines to the address shown below.
  • Exceptions are made for students who are non-degree seeking

3. Official report of ACT and/or SAT scores

If you are applying to a degree program and under the age of 21 at the start of the term to which you are applying, you must complete a college entrance examination (ACT or SAT) and have the results sent to the universities to which you are applying or to the Enrollment Service Center. If ACT or SAT scores are listed on your high school transcript, it is not necessary to request the scores from the testing agency.

SD Mines ACT code: 3922

SDSM&T SAT code: 6652

4. All materials submitted by mail should be sent to:

Admissions Office
South Dakota School of Mines and Technology
501 E. St. Joseph Street
Rapid City, SD 57701

Use of Social Security Number

We are requesting your Social Security Number (SSN) for administrative record accuracy and reporting. Disclosure of your SSN is voluntary and if you decline to provide it to us this action will not affect your admissions eligibility. However, we request this information from you in order to meet our federal obligation to report student employment, Hope and Lifetime scholarship tax information, and federal financial aid. The SSN is confidential information under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act and we will not release it without your consent. Having your SSN on record will enable the university to keep accurate information and to report it promptly.

iconFacebook32 iconInstagram32