Verification of FAFSA Data

Your application for Federal Student Aid may be selected by the U.S. Department of Education or South Dakota Mines, for review in a process called verification. Verification is a systematic means of comparing various financial and informational documents with the information you provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Working on behalf of the public universities in South Dakota, the Enrollment Service Center (ESC) located in Vermillion, SD, will correspond with the student regarding forms and documentation needed to complete verification.  

Our Verification Policy

According to federal guidelines, it is the policy of South Dakota Mines to withhold an offer of Federal Student Financial Aid until the verification process is considered completed.  

Verification Completion

 The verification process will be considered complete once the following has been accomplished:

  1. Fully complete and submit the Verification Form to the Enrollment Service Center (ESC).
  2. Provide tax documentation. 
  3. Submit copies of any other documents as requested by the ESC.
  4. ESC will compare the Federal Processor results with the documents requested.
  5. If verification reveals that data provided to the FAFSA Processor is incorrect, ESC will electronically correct your data with the FAFSA Processor. As a result, you will receive notification of the corrections from the FAFSA Processor. After we receive the corrected information, you will be processed for a financial aid offer.

Corrections to Previously Determined Aid Eligibility

If verification reveals that your aid eligibility has changed, it may be necessary to repay aid already disbursed to you. Failure to repay aid funds for which you have been determined ineligible may make you ineligible for further Federal Student Aid.

Financial Aid CTA Banner

Always Here to Help

Financial aid is new territory for many students and their parents, and can some times be complex.

Please feel free to contact the South Dakota Mines Financial Aid Office if you have questions or need assistance on financial aid matters.