Federal Work-Study

Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a limited funded Federal program with awarding priority given to students who show financial need through the FAFSA and have filed their FAFSA as soon as possible on or after October 1 (prior to the fall semester the student will be attending South Dakota Mines) until funds are exhausted for the award year. This program provides both on and off campus jobs for students. You normally will work between 10 to 12 hours per week, starting at the current Federal or South Dakota minimum wage, whichever is higher, with the option of the department/employer you will be working for to increase your hourly rate based on experience or special training that you have. This results in an annual maximum award of $2500 (however, depending on the situation, the award can be more). Off-campus employment emphasizes community service work and family literacy programs. Your class schedule must always be taken into consideration when agreeing to a work schedule with the department/employer.

Student in Work-Study ProgramBecause work-study is considered spending money for the student, and the student must make the effort to work their award, South Dakota Mines does not expect workers to use their earnings to pay towards their bill with the Student Accounts Office. Students who want to use their earnings to pay on their account must make those arrangements with the Student Accounts Office prior to or during fee payment each semester by signing up for the monthly payment plan.

Learn more about the types of Federal Work-Study jobs available.

To finalize your Work-Study award, you will need to complete the following steps:

  • STEP 1:  All Work-Study students must attend one of the informational sessions offered through the Financial Aid Office. Depending upon which semester you begin a Work-Study assignment, you must attend an information session to go over in more detail your FWS responsibilities and available on and off-campus positions. The dates, time and locations are as follows:
     Fall 2020 -- Two meeting times are available; you may attend either session.
     Monday, August 24 at 3:00 PM in the King Center Christensen Hall of Fame Room
     Tuesday, August 25 at 3:00 PM in the King Center Christensen Hall of Fame Room
    Spring 2021
    -- The Spring FWS meeting is only for students starting their FWS award in the spring semester.  The meeting time and location is yet to be determined.  You will be contacted, via your South Dakota Mines e-mail, by Monica Darrow of the meeting time and location and if you need to attend this meeting.  Otherwise, if you are already set up with an FWS position from the fall 2020 semester and plan on continuing with your same employer, you do not have to attend this meeting.

  • STEP 2:  You must bring to the meeting a U.S. Passport or, a Drivers License and one of the following: Social Security Card or Birth Certificate. Please note: original documents are required; copies will not be accepted. You will also need to bring a voided check or documentation from the bank that includes the routing number and account number of your bank account for direct deposit of your payroll check.

  • STEP 3: You will be required to complete paperwork relative to your Work-Study position that must be completed BEFORE you are allowed to begin working.

  • STEP 4:  Please review the FWS Job Descriptions. You decide where you want to work. If you need help obtaining a position, please contact Monica Darrow.

If your award notification did not list a Federal Work-Study award, you are encouraged to contact our office to see if you would be eligible to be placed on a waiting list.

Non-Federal Work-Study

If you are not eligible for federal work-study, you may visit the Student Employment page for possible non-federal work-study job opportunities.

Financial Aid CTA Banner

Always Here to Help

Financial aid is new territory for many students and their parents, and can some times be complex.

Please feel free to contact the South Dakota Mines Financial Aid Office if you have questions or need assistance on financial aid matters.