Questions about Renting

How do I find a rental?

One way is to use the SD Mines on-line classifieds. Just search for the features you want here

Can I have roommates or pets?

The landlord has a right to set reasonable occupancy rates and to allow or not to allow pets.

Can I sublet?

If your landlord agrees to let you sublease be sure to get this agreement in writing.

What about repairs?

Legally the landlord must keep the rental habitable at all times. The landlord is responsible for repairs if you, your guests or your pets, do not cause them.

What happens if I do not pay my rent on time?

You can be evicted for failure to pay your rent. Please carefully read your lease or rental agreement concerning rent, late fees, and notice of eviction.

Can I be held responsible for the actions of my roommates?

Yes, you can. It may be useful for you to have a signed agreement between yourself and your roommates. Please remember that all those whose names appear on the lease can be held responsible for all rents, repairs and fees.

What if I have a conflict with a landlord, roommate, or neighbor and I can’t seem to resolve it?

Unfortunately these kinds of situations arise.

Should I be concerned about safety off campus?

Yes, your safety is always an important issue when you move off campus. Before renting be sure to see if the apartment or house is well lit. Be sure to check and see where you can park. Is the lighting adequate? Is the parking area open and visible? Get to know your neighbors and let them get to know you. Check to see that your unit has smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and that they are in working order. Be aware of your surroundings and keep emergency phone numbers handy at all times.

Should I get renters insurance?

Getting renters insurance is always a good idea and is reasonably inexpensive. The unexpected can always happen. Depending on what your lease agreement says you can be held responsible for any number of situations. Renters insurance generally covers loss of your property in case of fire, flood, or theft but not the rental unit itself.

How can I get involved in the community?

Now that you have moved off campus you are part of a larger community. Getting involved with your new community is an excellent way to get to know your neighbors.

What happens if I drop out of school and must leave Rapid City for some emergency?

It is important that you check your lease agreement and contact your landlord before leaving. Each agreement is different and each landlord is different. Knowing your rights and keeping the lines of communication open between you and your landlord may help you in these situations. A tenant may terminate a rental agreement upon written notice and proof of being called away to active duty in the armed services.


Become a Resident Advisor or Residential Peer Mentor! Complete Details and the Online Application are online here:

Selection 18-19 Information


  • Thurs. Dec. 14, 12noon
    All Housing Closes for Winter Break
  • Sat. Jan. 6, 12noon
    All Housing Opens for Spring Semester
  • Sat. March 3, 12noon
    Residence Halls close for Spring Break (Rocker I/II remain open)
  • Sun. March 11, 8am
    Residence Halls re-open after Spring Break
  • Sat. May 5, 12noon
    All residential buildings close