Family in the U.S.

Whether you are bringing family to the U.S. for a visit or to live here while you are attending school, there are some requirements you will need to follow.

Inviting Relatives and Friends: B-2 Tourist Visa

Many students wish to invite friends and family for a short visit to the United States. The B-2 visitor visa is a good choice for visits of 6 months or fewer in duration or for family members who do not qualify for an F-2 or J-2 dependent visa (such as parents, siblings, cousins, etc.).

The most important part of the B-2 visa application at the U.S. Embassy of Consulate abroad will be the applicant's demonstration of ties to the home country (see additional information about the D-2 Visa below), the short duration of the trip, planned return to the home country, and the ability to cover expenses.

To facilitate the process of applying for a B-1/B-2 visitor visa, students or scholars can do the following (optional):

Additional Information for a B-2 Visa

Contact Us:

Ivanhoe International Center
SD School of Mines & Technology
501 E Saint Joseph Street
Rapid City, SD  57701-3995
Phone: 1.605.394.6884
FAX: 1.605.394.6883

Virtual Tour CTA

Experience SD Mines

The SD Mines virtual tour captures our unique campus using vibrant imagery, VR360 tours, and video and allows you to enjoy 360° panoramic views of our beautiful campus from the convenience of your own computer or mobile device. >> Explore Now