Taxes for International Students

ALL nonresident aliens, in F or J status, are required to complete Form 8843 with the IRS regardless of whether they received income. This also includes dependents in F-2 and J-2 status, regardless of age.

If you are a nonresident alien (NRA) for tax purposes, you do not pay social security and Medicare taxes. You can direct your employer to the IRS website on NRA taxes for more information or contact our office.

If you are a resident alien (RA) for tax purposes only, you do not use the Glacier Tax Prep (GDP) software. Check out the IRS website on RA taxes for more information.

Basic Questions

Filing Questions

No U.S. Income


Contact Us:

Ivanhoe International Center
South Dakota Mines
501 E Saint Joseph Street
Rapid City, SD  57701-3995
Phone: 1.605.394.6884
FAX: 1.605.394.6883
WhatsApp and Google: 1.605.388.2003

Virtual Tour CTA

Experience South Dakota Mines

The virtual tour captures our unique campus using vibrant imagery, VR360 tours, and video and allows you to enjoy 360° panoramic views of our beautiful campus from the convenience of your own computer or mobile device. >> Explore Now