J-1 Academic Training (AT)

Academic Training is a type of off-campus work authorization for employment in a J-1 student's field of study (does not need to be an "academic" job). J-1 Student Interns are not eligible. Please contact the Ivanhoe International Center for more information.
  • is available to J-1 students (except for J-1 Student Interns)
  • is a type of off-campus work authorization for employment in a student's field of study (not required to be an "academic" job)
  • must be authorized by the Ivanhoe International Center.


  • must have completed at least one semester on J-1 status.
  • after completion of program, AT must be a minimum of 20 hours per week.
  • must have a job offer in hand BEFORE the completion of study.
  • can be used for paid or unpaid internships or jobs. If AT is unpaid, the student must submit a letter from the employer AND provide proof of financial support in the amount of $2,100/month for living expenses during the training period.
  • allows for more than one job at a time, as long as all are related to the student;s field of study and separate AT request forms are submitted. If changing employers while on AT, there cannot be a gap in employment dates.
  • must begin within thirty (30) days of the program completion date. However, time authorized for Academic Training will begin counting the day after program completion.

Duration of AT

Application Process

Contact the Ivanhoe International Center for an appointment.

Employment Rules While on AT

Travel and Re-entry While on AT

Options After AT

After AT is finished, J-1 students have a 30-day period in which to leave the U.S. Any other plans (transfer, change of status, etc.) must be arranged before the end of the AT and DS-2019 end date.

Special J-1/J-2 Rules - 212e Two Year Home Physical Presence Requirement & 12-Month Bar

Certain J-1 Exchange Visitors are subject to a two-year home country physical presence requirement. J-1 visitors "subject" to this rule must return to their country of last legal residence for two years or obtain a waiver of this requirement before they are eligible for the H (temporary employment), L (intracompany transfer), K (fiance), or Permanent Residence (Green Card) categories.

For more information on this requirement, visit: Special J-1/J-2 Rules - Two Year Home Physical Presence Requirement & 12-Month Bar

J-2 Employment Authorization

J-2 work permits are obtained from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) through an application process that takes an average of 3 months to process. Employment may not begin until the J-2 has received the work permit, called the Employment Authorization Document (EAD).

The EAD allows the J-2 dependent to work in any job, full-time or part-time. Employment cannot extend beyond the end date on the EAD. Extensions of the EAD are possible, up to the end date on the DS-2019. Please note that the extension process also takes an average of 3 months, so plan ahead if employment needs to be continuous (without any gaps between work authorization periods).

International travel is not recommended while the J-2 EAD application is pending at USCIS. The application could be denied since the applicant does not hold a U.S. immigration status while abroad and is therefore ineligible for any status-associated benefits, including the EAD.

If a J-2 wishes to apply, please contact the Ivanhoe International Center for proper application procedures. You will need an appointment.

Contact Us:

Ivanhoe International Center
South Dakota Mines
501 E Saint Joseph Street
Rapid City, SD  57701-3995
Email: International@sdsmt.edu
Phone: 1.605.394.6884
FAX: 1.605.394.6883
WhatsApp and Google: 1.605.388.2003
Skype: sdsmt.international

Virtual Tour CTA

Experience South Dakota Mines

The virtual tour captures our unique campus using vibrant imagery, VR360 tours, and video and allows you to enjoy 360° panoramic views of our beautiful campus from the convenience of your own computer or mobile device. >> Explore Now