Taking Classes at More Than One University

The 6 public universities in South Dakota (Black Hills State, Dakota State, Northern State, South Dakota School of Mines & Technology, South Dakota State and the University of South Dakota) utilize a blanket academic consortium agreement whereby students have a much broader access to public higher education in South Dakota. As a South Dakota Mines student, you can more easily use your Federal Student Aid to pay for degree required classes taken at one of the other five South Dakota public universities. This also allows you to use your Self-Service Banner login for South Dakota Mines to sign up for classes at the other 5 campuses without having to contact them first to see if a class is available.

If you apply for admission to more than one of the 6 universities, you must decide which institution you are going to pursue your degree from and notify them of your intentions. If you don't, then a decision will be made based on the information available that would seem to indicate where you plan to pursue a degree (such as what classes you are taking from each school or where you are enrolled for the majority of your classes regardless from which school you may have applied for Federal Student Aid).

Recipients of South Dakota Mines scholarships are required to take no less than 12 South Dakota Mines credit hours each semester in order to remain eligible for scholarship disbursement. Exceptions are primarily for students on coop, students enrolled in majors that require courses from other SD Board of Regent universities or students in their final academic year of attendance prior to the completion of their degree and they do not need to be full-time to graduate from the South Dakota Mines.

Feel free to contact the Financial Aid Office if you have any further questions regarding this matter.

Financial Aid CTA Banner

Always Here to Help

Financial aid is new territory for many students and their parents, and can some times be complex.

Please feel free to contact the South Dakota Mines Financial Aid Office if you have questions or need assistance on financial aid matters.