Federal Student Loans

Federal Student Loan Programs

The following information is meant to give you an overview of programs available at South Dakota Mines.

In order to be considered for the Federal Student Loan Programs listed below (other than the Federal Consolidation Loan), students must file a new Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year. Find FAFSA application information here. You must be a fully admitted, degree-seeking student enrolled at least half-time at South Dakota Mines in order to receive Federal Student Loans. Loan borrowers may request loan cancellation by contacting the Financial Aid Office.

From the following list, click on the "Read more" link at the end of each type of loan you wish to review for further information as well as links to relevant loan information on the federal government’s Federal Student Aid website. Before pursuing any federal loan, review the information on our Loan Counseling (Entrance) webpage. Some loans require counseling beforehand, and for any loan commitment you need a clear idea of how much you need and the specifics of repayment.

Federal Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Student Loan – With the Federal Direct Loan Program, the student borrows loan funds directly from the federal government, on a subsidized or unsubsidized basis. Read more.

Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan – This loan is available only to the parents of dependent students pursuing an undergraduate degree.  Read more.

Federal Direct Grad PLUS Loan – This loan is available to graduate students who have exhausted certain other sources of funding. Read more.

Federal Consolidation Loan – Options to consolidate loans to lower monthly payments, but be sure you understand the financial ramifications. Read more.