Grubby Card

Card Services

Welcome! Use one card campus-wide! Your Grubby Card is a vital part of your life as a South Dakota Mines student! Card Services issues the Grubby Card which is the official identification and access card for students, faculty and staff at South Dakota Mines. Looking for a convenient and secure way to manage funds once you come to campus? Grubby Gold - a prepaid, stored-value account that is part of your Grubby Card - is the convenient, cashless way to pay for your purchases on campus.

You can deposit money into Grubby Gold in a number of easy ways, including online, the load station on campus or by mail. Keep in mind, though, that your Grubby Card does not work like an ATM/debit card, which means once you add money you can't withdraw it as cash. Grubby Gold balances roll over each term/year and the card remains active as long as you are a registered student or current faculty/staff member. Contact Residence Life for questions on meal plans or housing. 

Grubby Card Access:

  • Library
  • Wellness Center
  • Student Health Center
  • Residences
  • Academic Buildings
  • Sporting Events
  • Campus Museums
  • Career Fairs

Grubby Gold can be used for:

  • Rocker Shop textbooks, school supplies & South Dakota Mines gear
  • Designated copy machines
  • Designated vending machines
  • Residence hall laundry machine-Grubby Gold is the only way to pay for laundry!
  • Dining
  • Mail Services - Facilities Building (FedEx & USPS services available)

Add Money to My Grubby Card Account

Visit the eAccounts website

What is Grubby Gold?

Grubby Gold is a prepaid stored value fund on your Grubby Card. Having funds loaded onto your Grubby Card allow you to simply swipe/tap and go. There are no fees to start or maintain a Grubby Gold account, simply add funds.

Grubby Gold is separate from your meal plan. Your meal plan is required for students living in the Residential Halls and Grubby Gold is a voluntary program that cannot take the place of your meal plan. If you use your Grubby Card at a location where Grubby Gold and the meal plan are accepted, your meal plan account would automatically be used first and then roll over to the Grubby Gold account.

Grubby Gold is accepted all over campus.

Grubby Gold funds transfer semester to semester/unspent funds over $5 returned when a cardholder leaves South Dakota Mines.

Get Your Grubby Card

• Come into the Residence Life Office, located in the Surbeck Center.
• Employees: Once you have been cleared with HR bring a photo ID to have your Grubby Card made.
• Students: Bring photo ID.
• International Students: Bring photo ID and your International Student Information Form which you get at the International Affairs office.
• You will have your picture taken.
• Remember there are no hats, sunglasses, etc allowed in your picture.
• Your Grubby Card will then be printed for you immediately.

Add a Commuter Meal Plan

Commuter students can add a commuter meal plan to Your Grubby Card easily! Commuter meal plans are a convenient, cost-efficient way to eat in all of our campus dining areas. For details and pricing on meal plans, visit the Mines Dining website.  Ready to purchase a plan, click the button below!  Questions on commuter meal plans can be directed to


Door Access

• Residences
• Students have access to the exterior doors to the hall they live in.
• Individual room doors are accessed with card and code. With the exception of Rocker Square I & II Apartments.
• Classroom labs
• Academic buildings

Lost/Stolen Cards

What if I lose My Grubby Card Card?

• Cards can be deactivated during business hours.
• Deactivate/reactivate card through online form
• Or by contacting/stopping in the Res Life Office (M-F 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.)
• Replacement Cards can be purchased at the Residence Life Office for a $20 fee.

Parent's Information

Greetings Parents!

The Grubby Card is an essential component of the college living and learning environment for your South Dakota Mines student. All South Dakota Mines students receive a personalized Grubby Card which serves as their student identification card, and provides access to dining halls, libraries, campus facilities, and events. Grubby Gold is a flexible spending account that is used to cover all of your student's expenses-everything from printing, vending, and laundry to dining out, student health, and pharmacy needs without needing a credit card or cash.

See how to deposit money on your student's Grubby Card.

Sample Semester Budget

• School Supplies--Suggested: $125
• Laundry--Suggested: $50
• Printing --Suggested: $25
• Vending--Suggested: $50  
• University Apparel--Suggested: $100
• Entertainment--Suggested $50

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between Flex and Grubby Gold?

Flex dollars are your meal plan. Meal plan dollars can only be spent at the dining services locations and any unspent funds are lost after the spring semester. Grubby Gold can be spent at dining services as well as many other locations on campus and carries over from semester to semester as long as you are a student.

Can I transfer my Flex (meal plan dollars) to my Grubby Gold?

No. Your meal plan dollars are a separate account from your Grubby Gold. Your meal plan dollars are specifically for Dining Services and can only be spent at those locations. Grubby Gold is your money that can be spent how you choose at participating locations.

What is the cost to replace an ID?

$20  for each replacement card. The cost is billed to a student's banner account or can be paid at the Cashier's Office

Can I use a debit card to add funds?

Yes, as long as it is a Visa, MasterCard, or Discover.

I replaced my ID, but found the old card; can I reactivate the old card?

No. Once a card has been reprinted the old card number is retired and cannot be reused for security purposes. This prevents someone else finding your card and using it.

What are your office hours?

Our office hours are Monday through Friday 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. except holidays.

I need some cash; can I take it off my Grubby Gold?

No. Grubby Gold is not intended to be used like a bank card with ATM features. We also do not have cash on hand in the card office to give cash back. Once a student leaves school and is no longer a student, they can be refunded any funds over $5.00. A check will be mailed to the student from the South Dakota Mines Cashier’s office.

When will the money be on the card?

The money put on your account is available immediately.

Can I transfer money directly from my bank account?

No. We currently do not have that capability.

Can I get a temporary ID card?

No, we do not issue temporary ID cards for students.

Can I punch a hole in my card?

No. The ID card is a smart card and has wires throughout the card. Once a hole is punched in the card it will not work and a replacement fee will be charged to get a new one.

If you have additional questions, contact the Residence Life Office in the Surbeck Center.
Phone: 605-394-2348


December 16 (Noon) - January 8 (7:30am)
Residence Halls Close for Winter Break
All Halls Close (Including Rocker Square Apartments)
Winter Break Information Page

December 1 - January 18 (4:30pm)
Spring 2022 Meal Plan Changes Available
Housing & Dining Information Page

January 26 
Student Staff Hiring Process Begins
Learn about our employment options

February 14 
Housing Application opens for students new to South Dakota Mines

March 12 (Noon) - March 16 (8am)
Residence Halls Close for Spring Break
Rocker Square Apartments Do Not Close

May 7 (Noon)
Residence Halls Close Summer Break
Graduating Seniors can depart until 8th @ 5pm