Summer Financial Aid

Summer is considered a "leading" semester for the fall and spring semesters. As a result, students who are requesting aid for summer must have submitted a FAFSA for the upcoming school year (for example, for summer 2019, the 2019-2020 FAFSA results must be on file in our office) and will be awarded aid for the entire aid award year (summer, fall, spring). Students should take this into account when accepting Direct Subsidized and/or Unsubsidized Loans for summer, since borrowing will reduce the amount available for the following fall and spring semesters when most students take more credit hours. A SD Mines Summer Financial Aid Application, available at the link below, must also be completed and submitted to our office before you will be considered for summer aid.

If you are just beginning your college career during the summer of 2019, or if you did not attend full time during both fall 2018 and spring 2019, you should make sure SD Mines has your 2018-2019 FAFSA record so that we can determine if you have any aid eligibility remaining so as to minimize the impact of summer aid on eligibility for fall 2019 and spring 2020.

Because summer is treated as a standard term for Federal Student Aid purposes, enrollment status during the summer (full, 3/4, 1/2 and less than half time) is the same as it is for the fall and spring semesters. As a result, we are able to combine enrollments for the sessions you plan to attend in order to arrive at your enrollment status for the summer term.  The combined credits over the course of the summer are then used for disbursement of aid, usually at the beginning of your first session of attendance.  As a general rule, you must be enrolled as at least a half time student (6 credits for undergraduate and 4.5 credits for graduate students) to be eligible for summer financial aid.  (An exception is available for graduate students enrolled in 2 credit hours of research or dissertation.  This does not mean that graduate students enrolled in more than 2 but less than 9 credits are considered full time; this exception only applies to graduate students enrolled in 2 credits for research or dissertation.)

Summer 2019 Financial Aid Application


Financial Aid CTA Banner

Always Here to Help

Financial aid is new territory for many students and their parents, and can some times be complex.

Please feel free to contact the School of Mines Financial Aid Office if you have questions or need assistance on financial aid matters.