What is Cold Spray?
Cold spray is a lower temperature solid-state thermal spray process that deposits metal powder using a heated inert gas through a supersonic nozzle.
Advantages of Cold Spray
- No melting of powder materials
- Low heat input into substrate –> Minimal degradation and/or distortion
- Very high adhesion strengths possible -> Greater than 10 ksi
- No limit on thickness -> Deposits can be from 0.001 in. to 1 in., or even more
- Highly dissimilar materials can be combined
- Virtually any metal can be deposited
- Deposition possible on both metallic and non-metallic surfaces
The AMP Laboratory is a member of CSAT: a group of proponents of cold spray technology formed to share data, research and experiences; to educate potential users, and to network to further develop RDTE&E projects, materials, processes and standards. Learn more at