Summer Financial Aid

Students requesting aid for summer must have submitted a FAFSA for the upcoming academic year and completed a summer financial aid application. Aid will be awarded for summer, fall, and spring, unless you indicate that you are graduating in August or December. The summer financial aid application must be completed for awarding Federal Subsidized, Unsubsidized, and Parent PLUS Loans. Summer Pell Grant eligibility will be determined by the Financial Aid Office. 

Summer is treated as a standard term for Federal Student Aid purposes, so enrollment status during the summer is the same as it is for the fall and spring semesters. The combined credits you are enrolled in over the summer are used for awarding and disbursement of aid. Financial aid disbursement typically occurs at the beginning of your first session of attendance.  You must be enrolled as at least a half time student (6 credits for undergraduate and 4.5 credits for graduate students) to be eligible for Federal Subsidized, Unsubsidized, and/or Parent PLUS Loans for the summer term. An exception is available for graduate students enrolled in 2 credit hours of research or dissertation. If you change your summer enrollment by withdrawing from, dropping, or failing courses, your financial aid is subject to reduction or cancellation.

Summer Financial Aid Application

Financial Aid CTA Banner

Always Here to Help

Financial aid is new territory for many students and their parents, and can some times be complex.

Please feel free to contact the South Dakota Mines Financial Aid Office if you have questions or need assistance on financial aid matters.